Sanity Check on my System?

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I've ran BI for a long time, 8x ReoLink RLC-410 4MP cameras, 30FPS continuous recording and life was good. Then we moved and the number of cameras doubled to 16x of the same cameras and life wasn't so good. I was slamming the CPU, crashing the box, overall having a bad time and so I contacted support to discuss hardware and he suggested I visit the forums (duh, why didn't I think of that...)!

I never read any of the docs or forums previously since I installed it and it just worked but after reading the Optimizing BI article I've taken some of that advice and things are a lot better now. But, I'd like to run my setup past everyone here and see if it sounds reasonable or if I might still be setting myself up for problems.

My config is:
Supermicro 846E1 Server
... 2x Xeon E5530 @ 2.4GHz (4C/8T - Circa 2011)
... 48GB RAM
... 2x 24GB SSD for OS Boot (RAID1)
... 2x 256GB SSD for New Video (RAID0, 512GB)
... 22x 3TB HDD for Stored Video (RAID5, 40TB)
... 6x1GbE Connections (Bonded, LACP)

I picked up this box on eBay for a good price a year ago and have the infrastructure to support it so it seemed like a good alternative to a Chinesium NVR that I knew nothing about. I'm running the latest BI software under Windows 2016 Standard Server and the box is dedicated for an NVR running only minimal services and RDP.

On the advice of the optimization article I clamped the frame rate to 10FPS in the camera and limited the output to 160Kb/s. BI is set to a Max FPS of 12, recording direct to disk. I had never though to lower the frame rate previously since everything was fine with 8 cameras. Reducing the frame rate immediately took me from 100% CPU load to ~68% CPU load with continuously recording. This is good!

First question... Is there any need to run higher than 10FPS? (At the moment) playback look alright but it's dark and not much action going on.

When I moved the system was down for a few weeks and when I came back up there was a software update to BI, which I accepted. Now, I have lost the red recording dot on each camera windows as well as the red border around each window. See attached image. Ken at Support suggested it could be the absence of a discreet video card casing this problem. This machine has a bastardized Matrox G200 onboard. I suppose it's possible, no? The machine has always ran headless and when I need a console I use the integrated IP console so I never gave much thought to a video card and drivers.

Second question... I have a nVidia GeForce 710/1GB that'll fit in this box. Is it likely that installing such a card and loading the NV drivers would solve this issue? I ask because the box is racked and stacked, quite heavy and a two man job to pull down and open. If it's thought that a discreet video card will help then yeah, I'll pull it out and do it now but if everyone thinks otherwise, I'll do it later.

My final question isn't specific to BI but much more general. Has anyone ever heard of or seen a standalone LED/LCD IP camera monitor for ONVIF/RTSP cameras that I can hang up, plug in an ehternet cable and watch the 2nd stream on the cameras without the need to open a console on the server or a web browser/

Thanks in advance for any advice and help.

-brian

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I've ran BI for a long time, 8x ReoLink RLC-410 4MP cameras, 30FPS continuous recording and life was good. Then we moved and the number of cameras doubled to 16x of the same cameras and life wasn't so good. I was slamming the CPU, crashing the box, overall having a bad time and so I contacted support to discuss hardware and he suggested I visit the forums (duh, why didn't I think of that...)!

I never read any of the docs or forums previously since I installed it and it just worked but after reading the Optimizing BI article I've taken some of that advice and things are a lot better now. But, I'd like to run my setup past everyone here and see if it sounds reasonable or if I might still be setting myself up for problems.

My config is:
Supermicro 846E1 Server
... 2x Xeon E5530 @ 2.4GHz (4C/8T - Circa 2011)
... 48GB RAM
... 2x 24GB SSD for OS Boot (RAID1)
... 2x 256GB SSD for New Video (RAID0, 512GB)
... 22x 3TB HDD for Stored Video (RAID5, 40TB)
... 6x1GbE Connections (Bonded, LACP)

I picked up this box on eBay for a good price a year ago and have the infrastructure to support it so it seemed like a good alternative to a Chinesium NVR that I knew nothing about. I'm running the latest BI software under Windows 2016 Standard Server and the box is dedicated for an NVR running only minimal services and RDP.

On the advice of the optimization article I clamped the frame rate to 10FPS in the camera and limited the output to 160Kb/s. BI is set to a Max FPS of 12, recording direct to disk. I had never though to lower the frame rate previously since everything was fine with 8 cameras. Reducing the frame rate immediately took me from 100% CPU load to ~68% CPU load with continuously recording. This is good!

First question... Is there any need to run higher than 10FPS? (At the moment) playback look alright but it's dark and not much action going on.

When I moved the system was down for a few weeks and when I came back up there was a software update to BI, which I accepted. Now, I have lost the red recording dot on each camera windows as well as the red border around each window. See attached image. Ken at Support suggested it could be the absence of a discreet video card casing this problem. This machine has a bastardized Matrox G200 onboard. I suppose it's possible, no? The machine has always ran headless and when I need a console I use the integrated IP console so I never gave much thought to a video card and drivers.

Second question... I have a nVidia GeForce 710/1GB that'll fit in this box. Is it likely that installing such a card and loading the NV drivers would solve this issue? I ask because the box is racked and stacked, quite heavy and a two man job to pull down and open. If it's thought that a discreet video card will help then yeah, I'll pull it out and do it now but if everyone thinks otherwise, I'll do it later.

My final question isn't specific to BI but much more general. Has anyone ever heard of or seen a standalone LED/LCD IP camera monitor for ONVIF/RTSP cameras that I can hang up, plug in an ehternet cable and watch the 2nd stream on the cameras without the need to open a console on the server or a web browser/

Thanks in advance for any advice and help.

-brian
10fps is generally way more than enough...red border will only appear when triggered..see recent release notes.
Your system is a huge powerhog...adding the nvidia card will make it worse...move to a new system with intel HD with quicksync like a skylake i5/i7 and it will pay for itself in no time.

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback and I apologize for the delayed response, I was traveling last week!

I did add the nVidia card and it made no difference so I have been in further contact with support regarding the issue and he is looking into it. As for everything else, the system is running very well right now save for the recording indicators. I will likely upgrade to a MiniITX i7 in the near future and turn this box back into a dedicated NAS but for now, all is running smooth.

Thanks!

-b