Saving / exporting clips?

Reaction score
When I bring up the list of recorded clips, either via the calendar or the alert list, all I can do is play. There are buttons for next, previous, play, and pause. But I see no way to actually save or export that video file to my device. From the web browser interface (I use UI2) in Chrome or Firefox on my laptop, I can save the MP4 files to my computer. But the android app doesn't appear to have any way to do it. It seems like this would be a critical function. What good is recorded video of an incident if I can't actually do anything with it??

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When I bring up the list of recorded clips, either via the calendar or the alert list, all I can do is play. There are buttons for next, previous, play, and pause. But I see no way to actually save or export that video file to my device. From the web browser interface (I use UI2) in Chrome or Firefox on my laptop, I can save the MP4 files to my computer. But the android app doesn't appear to have any way to do it. It seems like this would be a critical function. What good is recorded video of an incident if I can't actually do anything with it??
You can record the clip direct to your phone by playing it back and hitting the movie real button..but you cant export directly and quickly...
its not a critical function though..you can export it when you get home or by remoting in via pc...its not like you will upload it to law enforcement as its happening.....that only happens on TV. You can email support and ask for that function in the app.

Reaction score
When playing back a saved clip from alerts or the calendar, I have no other buttons to push. There is no record button. It's just a full screen video, with overlayed play/pause, next, and previous. The only place I have a those record/photo buttons is for the live video view. I'm not talking about live. I'm talking about the recorded clips you play back.

Hopefully this screenshot works:

Last edited:

mcx

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When playing back a saved clip from alerts or the calendar, I have no other buttons to push. There is no record button. It's just a full screen video, with overlayed play/pause, next, and previous. The only place I have a those record/photo buttons is for the live video view. I'm not talking about live. I'm talking about the recorded clips you play back.
Have you tried device screen recorder?
Siepp.PNG

Or app: screen recorder - Android Apps on Google PlaySiepp.PNG

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Hopefully this screenshot works:
That is not the blue iris mobile app...what app are you using?
@mcx, there is no need for a screen recorder the blue iris mobile app supports this function.

Reaction score
It certainly is the BI app. When I select a clip, it goes to a full screen video with only play/pause, next, and previous buttons. I do not get that screen with a record button.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Reaction score
Here's a screen record. I'm not a total idiot. It's the legit Blue Iris app. But when I playback video, instead of using BI to play it back, it uses whatever video playback app my phone has on it. Which in this case is either Google Photos or VLC. So that's what's opening the video. And neither has the option to save as something else somewhere else. BTW, I have BI using direct to disc MP4 recording. Perhaps that makes a difference? The only time I get the BI app video player is if if I use the most recent alert playback.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a screen record. I'm not a total idiot. It's the legit Blue Iris app. But when I playback video, instead of using BI to play it back, it uses whatever video playback app my phone has on it. Which in this case is either Google Photos or VLC. So that's what's opening the video. And neither has the option to save as something else somewhere else. BTW, I have BI using direct to disc MP4 recording. Perhaps that makes a difference? The only time I get the BI app video player is if if I use the most recent alert playback.

yes it does make a difference...if you noticed another app launching to playback you should have mentioned it....
Record to bvr, it is not only more efficient but allows playback of a clip before it is closed...which is important.

Reaction score
I just installed VLC yesterday morning on hunch that might be what's happening. It was the only way to make it prompt for what application to use to playback the video.

I use D2D because it makes more efficient use of system resources and it doesn't require BI to play the video. The new and alert directories on my PC are synchronized to my Google Drive. So the clips are off the cloud immediately for redundancy. Someone could break in, steal the server, and the clips are still available on the cloud.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just installed VLC yesterday morning on hunch that might be what's happening. It was the only way to make it prompt for what application to use to playback the video.

I use D2D because it makes more efficient use of system resources and it doesn't require BI to play the video. The new and alert directories on my PC are synchronized to my Google Drive. So the clips are off the cloud immediately for redundancy. Someone could break in, steal the server, and the clips are still available on the cloud.
you should be using D2D with BVR not mp4...you can them play the backup clips with any pc, just install the blue iris demo.
with mp4 you cannot view the file while the clip is open..so even if you disable combine and cut, you cant view the clip until the trigger ends which can cause you to lose valuable time...use bvr.

enilm

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a way to record videos with sound?

As I'm playing back a video with sound and then I hit the record button, it only exports video but no sound.

Obviously when doing it on the desktop it exports with sound but not the mobile app.