Scanning footage for changes in the scene

Dave.r247

n3wb
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me if I could scan footage and highlight or add markers when there are changes in the video.

I want to just scan security camera footage for movement in the scene.

is there other software to do this

Thanks for any advice

Reaction score
Not sure what you are using, but blue iris does this. I have my blue iris set to 24/7 recording and motion alerts activated. So any change in the scene (motion), will trigger a clip, and all i do is go through the clips to see what the trigger was.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
There is Sentry-AI, but its a paid service. Again, as @djernie pointed out, the motion alerts in Blue Iris catalogs the triggers and its associated scene changes.

Can anybody tell me if I could scan footage and highlight or add markers when there are changes in the video.

I want to just scan security camera footage for movement in the scene.

is there other software to do this

Thanks for any advice

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There is Sentry-AI, but its a paid service. Again, as @djernie pointed out, the motion alerts in Blue Iris catalogs the triggers and its associated scene changes.
I've had (I think) the same question. I know you can set BI to highlight or draw a rectangle around motion as its happening but I don't think there's a way to do this when reviewing clips. I often have an alert and when I review the clip, I never figure out what exactly it was that made this become a clip. It's a little annoying to me but then I'm not using this for anything but hobby/entertainment.

Dave.r247

n3wb
Reaction score
thank you for the replies. I need it for video that has already been recorded, so I would need software that scans through the footage then either spits the footage at the point motion is detected or just create a log file stating the time in the video when the movement had been detected.

Reaction score
I've had (I think) the same question. I know you can set BI to highlight or draw a rectangle around motion as its happening but I don't think there's a way to do this when reviewing clips. I often have an alert and when I review the clip, I never figure out what exactly it was that made this become a clip. It's a little annoying to me but then I'm not using this for anything but hobby/entertainment.
I am not sure if it will have rectangles in the clips. I don't use any of the rules to have rectangles. the clip will not be generated if there is no movement. so if you go through your clips and there is nothing there then it was a false trigger. Such as leaves blowing, or a shadow from clouds, or paper blew in to the scene. I just scroll through my clips and if i see a person or a car or an animal i click on the clip to enlarge it. Takes me all of 15 minutes. This is how i want it. I want to record everything and have it trigger when ever there is motion. This way if something does happen i know for a fact i have it saved, and all i have to do is find it. It's that simple. I don't want notifications i don't want email. I just want to collect everything, and check my alert clips.

Reaction score
thank you for the replies. I need it for video that has already been recorded, so I would need software that scans through the footage then either spits the footage at the point motion is detected or just create a log file stating the time in the video when the movement had been detected.
I am assuming we are talking about the same thing. You want your cameras to record and then you want to go through the footage at a later time. That is what i do. The alerts are the clips that are saved and all i have to do is go through the saved footage that is split up at the point motion is detected.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can use the "Test run video through motion" while reviewing clips to tell you what caused the motion, then use that info to tweak your settings so it doesn't happen again.
Or you don't have Iframes set the same as FPS in the cams, and the event it missed.
Also make sure you have enough trigger time set.
This is most likely a setup issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This functionality would be very cool if blue iris has that capability...

This technology is patented so you wont see it in blue iris. With blue iris you can scrub the timeline or playback at really high speed and accomplish the same. Sentry which is an cloud based addon to blue iris does something similar with out the time stamps and using still images. They send you a report at the end of the day.