SD Card Recording has gaps

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have run into a peculiar issue with several DS-2CD2142FWD cameras. I am recording to the sd cards on these cameras continuously. I have noticed when I go to the playback there are gaps in the recordings, sometimes as much as three hours! They have Sandisk Ultra 128GB cards in them. Is it the sd cards? I have made sure I don't have a power issue, checked to make sure my scheduled time is correct, rebooted the cameras and reformatted the sd card in an attempt to fix it. Ideas?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have run into a peculiar issue with several DS-2CD2142FWD cameras. I am recording to the sd cards on these cameras continuously. I have noticed when I go to the playback there are gaps in the recordings, sometimes as much as three hours! They have Sandisk Ultra 128GB cards in them. Is it the sd cards? I have made sure I don't have a power issue, checked to make sure my scheduled time is correct, rebooted the cameras and reformatted the sd card in an attempt to fix it. Ideas?

Thanks
Where did you purchase the cards?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
They all say sold by Amazon, LLC in the seller. It's a major problem as I have 7 of these and every one of them that I have set to continuous record has gaps in the recordings. I'm just worried I'm going to be replacing 7 sd cards. It's very strange. I have one of the exact same models the only uses a 64 GB Sandisk sd card and it works flawlessly. It's only the ones with the 128 GB Sandisk sd cards that are causing the problem. Maybe one day Sandisk and Hikvision will make something that actually works. Who knows.

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They all say sold by Amazon, LLC in the seller. It's a major problem as I have 7 of these and every one of them that I have set to continuous record has gaps in the recordings. I'm just worried I'm going to be replacing 7 sd cards. It's very strange. I have one of the exact same models the only uses a 64 GB Sandisk sd card and it works flawlessly. It's only the ones with the 128 GB Sandisk sd cards that are causing the problem. Maybe one day Sandisk and Hikvision will make something that actually works. Who knows.
I recently purchased from Amazon 2 64GB Sandisk micro sd cards. Had the same symptoms you are having. One of the cards did not even fit in my tablet, it was cut too large.

I contacted Sandisk customer service. After reading the SN of the SD cards to the customer rep, was informed the 2 cards I have are NOT authentic Sandisk micro sd cards. I was able to get refund after contacting Amazon.

I would suggest in your case to contact Sandisk and tell them the symptoms you are experiencing...they will ask for you to read the SN so you will know if they are authentic or not sd cards.

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll be getting serial numbers and calling Sandisk then. I guess I know my weekend plans, they involve a ladder and an allen wrench. I'll post what I find out. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Ok, I just found something interesting with these cameras and the SanDisk 128GB sd cards. I logged into one of the seven cams (all DS-2CD2142FWD) and unchecked the 264+ setting. This one camera then proceeded to record continuously without any missing gaps. The next day just to make sure it's not a fluke, I did the same to the others. They are now recording continuously without gaps in the recordings. Strange. Anybody have any idea why?

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have a read through of this thread on the topic, it's a fairly common issue at the moment I'm afraid.
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/12838-Hikvison-H264-Faulty-continous-recording
Are you implying gaps on SD card recordings are a common issues as to gaps with NVR recording by providing the above link?
Did you read OP's first post? He wrote, "I am recording to the sd cards on these cameras continuously."
He does not mention anything about gaps with NVR recordings.

Kieran

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In that thread, there are a number of helpful posts from @andyblac that detail correspondence he has had with Hikvision regarding issues with H.264+and I-frame size. The issue manifests in the exact same manner on an IP camera not linked to an NVR and seems tied to a firmware issue regarding H.264+. Hikvision have admitted it's a firmware issue

Considering OP's issue was resolved by disabling H.264+, then it's highly likely it's a H.264+ issue and the same as what is discussed in the above thread.

I'd encourage you to read the entire thread

Reaction score
Anto, you're correct. I am recording to sd cards in the cameras, no NVR involved.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In that thread, there are a number of helpful posts from @andyblac that detail correspondence he has had with Hikvision regarding issues with H.264+and I-frame size. The issue manifests in the exact same manner on an IP camera not linked to an NVR and seems tied to a firmware issue regarding H.264+. Hikvision have admitted it's a firmware issue

Considering OP's issue was resolved by disabling H.264+, then it's highly likely it's a H.264+ issue and the same as what is discussed in the above thread.

I'd encourage you to read the entire thread
I would encourage you not to jump to any conclusions until you know the facts. You are assuming OP is having gaps in his NVR recording. I'm sure you know the definition of assume. There are members in this community who only record to micro sd card not using any NVR or BI.

Kieran

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would encourage you not to jump to any conclusions until you know the facts. You are assuming OP is having gaps in his NVR recording. I'm sure you know the definition of assume. There are members in this community who only record to micro sd card not using any NVR or BI.
sorry but disagree, i have 4k NVR (DS-7716NI-I4 / 16P), also you get same issue direct from CAM's when not linked through NVR, as i said above i spent over 6 weeks on these issue direct with HikVision support in china, and they have confirm a firmware bug in firmware 5.4.xx i proved to them that h264+ had no such issue in 5.3.8, anyway they have acknowledged the BUG and are working on the fix, now we just have to wait and see.
As I said - and as is also said in that thread - the issue also manifests itself with H.264+ when NOT using an NVR. Although I do suppose in that sense you're right in my assuming andy and Hikvision tested this scenario with a microSD card, NAS, VMS or other non-NVR recording method.

Regardless, there is literally no harm in below_the_root also reading that same thread, as their issues are extremely similar (if not the same)

Reaction score
I have read through the thread and it does seem like it is going to be the same bug in the firmware people are having when recording to an NVR. I'll give their suggested settings a try and see if it produces the same results. Guess then we'll know the bug involves recording to sd cards as well.

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have read through the thread and it does seem like it is going to be the same bug in the firmware people are having when recording to an NVR. I'll give their suggested settings a try and see if it produces the same results. Guess then we'll know the bug involves recording to sd cards as well.

Are you also recording to NVR? Are you having the same missing gap symptoms on you NVR recordings?

Reaction score
No, just recording to the SD cards in the cameras. No NVR involved. The way they describe the issue in the tread about the NVR recordings though is exactly what I get with the SD card recording. Must be a bug in the camera firmware.

Reaction score
Ok, after going through the settings in the post suggested by Kieran, I have been able to get one of the cameras to successfully record without gaps using 4096 as the bitrate, 18 on the sharpness, then turning on h264+. It seems to have fixed the recording gaps issue. I guess this is a bug in the camera firmware that affects recording to sd cards in the cameras as well as using an NVR. I guess the only hope is to report the bug to Hikvision so they are aware and can fix it. I'm just going to leave the other six cameras to record using h264 as I have had no issues with these and continue to monitor the one in h264+ to see if it is stable. It has worked so far for three days without pause. Thanks to all those who pitched in to help me with a solution.

HarryTT

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same problem.
I Have 2x DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS with original Samsung EVO plus 128GB SD cards, with the lens as the only difference (4mm vs 2.8mm).
One is recording fine without any gaps in the timeline, one is a pain in the *ss. I've tried a lot, even changing the power adapter, which i thought might be faulty.
The only clue I've got left is: 1. Corrupt SD card or 2. Losing WiFI is causing this cam to interrupt recording.

I've turned h264+ off on the problematic cam, to see if this helps (and to isolate the cause). Then I will try to enable it with 4096 bitrate and 18 sharpness.

Last edited by a moderator:

HarryTT

n3wb
Reaction score
It turned out the SD card was defective, only 1gb was accessible the rest of the space (which contained older recordings) was locked out. The was no way to format/restore the whole card, strange issues I've never seen before. Since the card was only a week old, I received a new one.