SD Card recording: viewing only works 20% of the time, SD cards sometimes disappear until reboot

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey,

So I installed these cameras at a restaurant for the parking lot - lotta prowlers. They're pretty important for the company, so I'm really upset that they're not more reliable

Camera model: HFW2831T-ZS Purchased from Andy SD Card: Silicon Power 256GB U3 SDXC
Site has Comcast Business 40/15 cable network with static IP

The strange thing is, I installed a couple similar cameras at an apartment bldg with the same exact SD cards and they work 100% of the time. The only real difference is the cameras are the IPC-T5442TM-AS and they have VDSL 40/10

Has anyone seen this before, and if so, what did you do to fix it?

Thanks

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The link you posted says that camera will work with up to a 128gb micro SD card. Maybe try a smaller card?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use good quality SD cards, most last less than a year, in Texas, the heat and the constant write load kills them. SD cards are not reliable for the primary record method.

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The link you posted says that camera will work with up to a 128gb micro SD card. Maybe try a smaller card?
It's definitely possible, although my experience has been that mfgs release a camera while only the smaller size cards exist, and then a larger size card comes out after the release of the camera, they just couldn't test it because it wasn't out yet. I should probably check to see when the HFW2831T-ZS was released to see if the 256GB micro sd cards were out at the time they started shipping.

The other thing is I have the two IPC-T5442TM-AS that work fine with 256GB cards, too. They all use the same firmware IIRC. I guess just because two cameras are from the same mfg and use the same firmware doesn't mean that they have to accept the same memory, but it would be pretty surprising (to me).

Re: using memory cards for primary storage - yeah, I am working on an NVR. We all decided we hate Dahua's iDMSS app, so we're going for something with a different app.

Anyone using the "auto maintenance" feature? The sd cards disappear in the "local storage" tab until I reboot the cameras, and then it works as expected for however long. I'm hoping if they reboot themselves once a day they'll at least be usable. Pretty ugly, but whatever works (for now).

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use good quality SD cards, most last less than a year, in Texas, the heat and the constant write load kills them. SD cards are not reliable for the primary record method.
What particular cards do you recommend? Is U1 OK for 4K recording? Samsung and SanDisk both make a high endurance, but they're U1 and only available in 128GB, which is why I decided to go with the 256GB U3 SPs (also, money).

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use Samsung EVO Plus. It's a U1 card but works fine in 4K IP cameras. There are a few good utilities out there that will test your memory cards. With so many counterfeit cards out there it pays to check them before using. Many of the cameras I install are in inaccessible locations so for me it pays to use the best card I can find and test before installing.

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use Samsung EVO Plus. It's a U1 card but works fine in 4K IP cameras.
Yeah, totes, I agree. I should have gone with a 128GB and a high endurance. Nice to know a U1 will work bc samsung pro endurance is U1 and that was one I was looking at, but I instead went with the SanDisk High Endurance - which I think is same as Max Endurance without the 10yr warranty. Seemed like a decent price/quality trade off. The SanDisk is U3. I usually prefer Samsung, but I think it's splitting hairs at this point.

Also, thought about getting a WD Purple microsd but some research indicated they are probably re-branded SanDisk High or Max Endurance - apparently WD bought SanDisk recently, and suddenly there are fancy new purple sd cards. I don't think WD has ever made their own NAND, it's always SanDisk, Micron, Samsung, Hynix, etc. Save your $2-3 unless you really like the color.