SD29204S-GN Mini PTZ. Any reviews, feedback?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
This looks like a great indoor cam. I am having hard time to find much info on it. Does anyone have it? Is there any sample videos that you can share? TIA!

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=12

My main questions, does it have to be ceiling mount to work and would PTZ controls work with Hikvision NVR?

Last edited by a moderator:

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm afraid I don't have any sample vids (family/neighbours might not approve...), and can't comment on compatability with Hik NVR, but I do now have 2 of these and I am struggling to think of anything to say against them.

The image quality is easily a match for the 10x Huisuns and the Hiks I have, the low light performance is impressive, good IR strength (and variable), but not as powerful as Huisiun. The PTZ speed rocks, 100°/s pan for presets is brilliant, especially when going between presets that may be over 200° apart as these do where I have them (they cover the full 360° pan range, but not continuous). They're super-simple to setup and install, unobtrusive and seem to be very good quality.

If I had to nit-pick: the mic is ok at picking up ambient sounds, but strangely poor at picking up speech/voice; there's no updwards tilt at all.

Out of interest, both of mine are installed outside, under the eaves. I was confident that they would be protected from the rain where they are, but in one case was very wrong. We have an old house, and where one is located the eaves are slatted (so there are gaps between the slats which open into the roof space). There tends to be dust and crud which blows down between the gaps, so before installing the camera I used silastic to seal up all the gaps on the mounting surface of the camera to keep the dust etc out.

Recently we had some very heavy rains, and I discovered that not only do the gutters in that spot overflow outwards, but they also spill into the eaves when totally overwhelmed. As a result the camera was completely drenched. It was just like having a bucket of water poured over it for 5 mins or so. Great! I was sure it would be the end of the cam, and was "not happy".

Amazingly, it didn't have any effect on it at all. It continued to work perfectly as it was being drowned until I pulled the plug on the remote end (POE), and didn't miss a beat once I powered it back up again. There's no question that without the silastic it would have filled up with water (you can see the circuit board etc through the gaps around the SD card cover), and I'm not suggesting for a second anyone should use one of these as if it were weather-proof, but I was really impressed (and relieved) by its performance. I have since modified the installation to prevent this from happening again...

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
but strangely poor at picking up speech/voice
This might be a deal breaker, I really wanted a good audio capabilities for one of those moments when kids had some funny conversation and I didn't have camera next to me

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This might be a deal breaker, I really wanted a good audio capabilities for one of those moments when kids had some funny conversation and I didn't have camera next to me
Maybe being inside it would be better than where I have them, but yeah, the mic is probably the weakest point in an otherwise impressive cam.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In the past dahua had improved the mic on the 4300c with newer firmware. I dont know if that is the case with this camera...

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
In the past dahua had improved the mic on the 4300c with newer firmware. I dont know if that is the case with this camera...
We need some video samples too, maybe it's not bad indoors.