SD42212S-HN Issues

bestrafung

n3wb
Reaction score
On someone's recommendation from another IP camer forum I purchased this camera to monitor activity around my house when I'm at work. I love the features if I could just get it to work as it should. I have been fighting this camera since it arrived and I have not had much luck contacting Dahua for support. I have tried 3 times now and they ask some silly questions such as "where are you located" then I never hear from them again.

My biggest issue at the moment is when I attempt to use the PTZ controls it pans/tilts in large increments. For example, if I try to pan just a couple degrees it will rotate all the way around 180+ degrees and is impossible to view what I want/need to view. Turning the PTZ speed down seems to help a little but it's still far from usable.

The next issue is that the built-in web server in the camera is extremely slow and unresponsive. It often takes several minutes just to go to different options in the settings and sometimes it completely locks up/crashes Chrome. Does anyone know if there are easy ways to resolve either of these issues or if the camera is defective? I'm really hoping it's not the latter because the website we ordered it from will likely not honor a return at this time and I'm frustrated beyond belief trying to contact Dahua. Any insights would be much appreciated.

BTW, in case anyone is interested, I've tried just about every VMS available and so far Blue Iris seems to be the only one with good PTZ response for this camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Dahua asks where you are located because they dont support end users....the sellers (authorized) are supposed to help you...Such is the risk of buying direct from china...as far as your issues, it seems abnormal, dahua makes some of the best PTZ's out there. Maybe user @nayr can help you.

Last edited by a moderator:

bestrafung

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Dahua asks where you are located because they dont support end users....the sellers (authorized) are supposed to help you...Such is the risk of buying direct from china...as far as your issues, it seems abnormal, dahua makes some of the best PTZ's out there. Maybe user @nayr can help you.
Thanks for the reply. It looks like I may have a serious problem then. The place I ordered the camera from doesn't offer support, the best I can hope for is a replacement if I can prove this one is defective, and I'll have to cover shipping. I knew when the order was placed the seller didn't support the camera but I assumed the manufacturer would. So far I have tried asking on their online support section on their website but it was never posted and all of my emails so far have been largely ignored. Do you know if there might be a setting somewhere that I'm overlooking that might cause this? If it truly is defective, is there a way to prove it definitively? I have a feeling the seller is going to fight us on the return/replacement.

This system was built for a client and they are expecting to pickup this unit soon. This has been a nightmare. You say they're some of the best PTZ cameras but from my experience we'll never use Dahua again. We had no problems with Vivotek, they just didn't have the specs we were looking for at the time.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no experience with the dahua PTZ, but they are known to be very good. Maybe @nayr, @vector18 or @networkcameracritic can help you out...
Worst case contact your credit card company....

lgRich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I have 2 Dahua PTZ SD3282DN running flawless until one year and I am very happy with this cameras. The PTZ function are very smooth and precise and I never need to readjust the preset, it’s always show me the same exact picture.

First, I made all my setup for the preset with the Dahua web Service v3.0. The PTZ Speed is set at Middle and the speed is set at 5. With those settings, I can easily and accurately set my Preset.

However,

When I use the BI via web Interface with the Preset number the result is very accurate but when I use the arrows keys the result is very erratic and very fast, so for me this is not acceptable.

When I use the Milestone XProtect Go (free version) via Smart Client web interfacewith the Preset number the result is very accurate and also with the arrows keys.

I hope this can help you to figure if you have a defective camera.

lgRich

French Canadian, sorry for my English...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@lgRich brings up a good point, with respect to how different vms and browsers affect the controls...you said you used chrome..have your tried IE?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I try to avoid chrome with my dahua cameras, I think its too aggressive trying to load resources and i found I would get a blank video with "not enough resources" message being displayed after a bit of messing about with the configs... When I used Safari I had no problems, its not horridly fast but its not painfully slow unless its saving changes perhaps.

I dont like monitoring video through the web interface, the plugins stability in the long term is poor.. the latency seems high and it simply requires too many resources to do continuously.. I use SmartPSS for all my monitoring and PTZ needs, works perfectly without issue and dont slow my browser down a bit.

So basically I Dont use chrome for config, and only access web ui for when I need to make config changes... all other times I am controlling through SmartPSS or the Mobile DMSS

bestrafung

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've tried IE 10/11, Chrome, Opera, and Firefox with not much difference. I did notice the "not enough resources" issue with Chrome though. I haven't tried Safari or any others yet. As for VMSs I've tried: iSpy Connect, AxxonNext, Milestone XProtect GO, a few I don't remember the names to, and ended up with Blue Iris. So far Blue Iris is the only one with acceptable PTZ performance, the others are just too sluggish. I can't remember if I tried SmartPSS or not so I'll revisit that but I also have non-Dahua cameras on this system so it has to be compatible with both brands.

I've also been communicating with the seller and they claim they're relaying the information to a technician but I'm not sure how that's going to work out yet. Hopefully this will be worked out soon. Also, on the subject on VMSs, does anyone know if there are any good ones that work in Linux, either natively or through WINE? I'll be building another setup like this for personal use soon but I'd prefer a Linux setup.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you dont mix/match brands it becomes less troublesome, I use all dahua cameras and have them just ftp continuously to a linux file server and use the native dahua apps to view on desktops, tablets, and mobiles.. you could probably get smartPSS running in Wine.

If you want to avoid a Windows NVR then your best bet is to go for a Dahua NVR, its running linux and im sure wouldn't be too hard to hack into.

Mix and Matching Cameras even without Multi-Platform support is alot of trouble and feels like its duct taped together, alot of functionality dont or wont work.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Please tell us what you have the bit rate and fps set for on the PTZ. Also, let us know if the computer you are using is hard wired or wifi. If it's wifi, what is your connection speed to your router? There are many factors to consider before you deem this a defective camera. And, as mentioned already, this is a Dahua camera, why aren't you using Dahua software? And those vivotek cameras that worked flawless for you, were they 2mp IP PTZ's or analog?