SD49212T-HN Problem

camsmith

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have had this camera for about a year. It's been working great.
I came home today and when I got out of my car I heard an audible motor sound coming from the camera.
So I checked the monitor in my home and saw that it was recording fine but had slight movement like it was trying to move but couldn't because it was stuck. I then tried to pan tilt and zoom and noticed it was struggling to go right, then after playing with it more it struggled to go up. So I tried rebooting several times, and that didn't help. At that point I unplugged the 12v lead and decided to internet search to see what I could find.
I decided to lay down and watch some tv, after some hours I get up its now about 9pm and look at the cameras monitor and see what looks like a search light in the front driveway. I thought it was a helicopter. I go outside and see no helicopter. So I walk out to the driveway and notice my camera going in circles. The cat5 cable was still connected so I'm thinking its maybe a heat issue possibly.
I reconnected the 12v lead and tried to see if I could reboot it but I cant ping it and the discovery tool doesn't see it either. I'm stuck at what to do now.

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It sounds like you are powering the camera with both a 12v power brick and PoE, that isn't suggested. If your PoE doesn't provide enough power you should turn off the PoE on that port if its a managed switch or put that camera on a cheap non PoE switch so you aren't powering it two ways.

camsmith

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It sounds like you are powering the camera with both a 12v power brick and PoE, that isn't suggested. If your PoE doesn't provide enough power you should turn off the PoE on that port if its a managed switch or put that camera on a cheap non PoE switch so you aren't powering it two ways.
I have a PoE plus switch on order. I currently have a regular PoE switch, didn't realize there was a difference.
Thanks

camsmith

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I trust it is working normally again? Funny that it would be fine for a year and then go wonky due to not getting enough power.

camsmith

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I trust it is working normally again? Funny that it would be fine for a year and then go wonky due to not getting enough power.
It is working fine, I have it connected to a new switch that provides more power. I don't have the 12v connected anymore. Yea I don't know why it would work fine for a year. I haven't touched or changed anything. The weather has been hot so that's what made me think it was a heat issue