SD49225XA Focus

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can't seem to figure out if anything can be done to resolve this focus issue. It is completely random. In the video, I thought it may be focusing on something closer than the intended area of capture but if you look closely, nothing is in focus.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have focus speed adjustments in that cam's setup, try changing those to see if it helps.
Also if it has the Lens Init button try it.
Adjust these if you have those features.
1587230159778.png

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
The large tree is a major issue you will have here as your camera will try to focus on that everytime it pans to the right. I presume you manually moved the camera when the camera panned as the subject car went out of the screenshot before it moved. Does it loose focus when you try to pan left also as I don't see any objects that would effect the focus.

You could try to taking the tick out of PFA and setting it to fully automatic with a min focus distance at 10cm. I don't see this a camera problem for what i have seen so far.

If everything I mentioned fails then I would do a Factory reset ( FULL ) and try to re act what you have shown in the video.

OR

Crazy%20Comics%20026-0150.gif

Last edited:

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The large tree is a major issue you will have here as your camera will try to focus on that everytime it pans to the right. I presume you manually moved the camera when the camera panned as the subject car went out of the screenshot before it moved. Does it loose focus when you try to pan left also as I don't see any objects that would effect the focus.

You could try to taking the tick out of PFA and setting it to fully automatic with a min focus distance at 10cm. I don't see this a camera problem for what i have seen so far.

If everything I mentioned fails then I would do a Factory reset ( FULL ) and try to re act what you have shown in the video.

OR

View attachment 59814
If you look again, you will see that the focus was spot on and then it goes out. It also does not focus on anything, nor the tree. I would expect it to choose something. I will try un-selecting the PFA and see.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I hope it works for you if not do a FULL factory reset and try again, I have this to fit tomorrow myself and will update it with the Beta Auto Tracking firmware.

cam pic.jpg

Last edited:

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I hope it works for you if not do a FULL factory reset and try again, I have this to fit tomorrow myself and will update it with the Beta Auto Tracking firmware.

View attachment 59916
Very interested in the auto tracking. I had it on a SD59230HNI and it was horrendous. Spinning like a top. I saw another guy on here with one of the last auto tracking SD49225XA and his did amazing. Then I bought mine and it did not have auto tracking. The Deep IVS has been very very good but auto tracking gives such a nice smooth clip as opposed to the camera stopping and then going to new presets over and over to track a target. Not to beat a dead horse but the out of focus adjustment randomly is really bugging me.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I just got rid of a DH-Sd6Ce230U-HNI and even after the auto tracking was set up it was hit & miss and found better to turn it off and just use Intelligent tracking. I had the 5 series before that and that was the same but also had the SD49225XA which I found Excellent in every way except it had a manufacturing fault with a noisy motor and PTZ slip hence why they removed the feature.

Where did you purchase your SD49225XA if Andy then I'm sure he will update it for you.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

OR

View attachment 59814
If I could, I'd cut that tree down but the GF ain't having it. It was hard enough getting her to accept all the cameras although I think she sits at the monitor more than me lol.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So after updating to the newest firmware, tracking is very very good however after many attempts at all the recommendations the focus is still substandard. Tried; 1) Default to factory several times, 2) Initiated "Lens Initialization" several times, 3) Tried changing presets zoom to different positions, and 4) Changed the "Target Tracking Size" nearer and further. It is very fast to capture fast moving targets but the focusing is just too slow, even in very well illuminated situations. I have learned that nighttime tracking is easily fooled by targets that are dark. The logic uses contrasting elements of the scene. I have walked miles in testing and found that at night, if I wear dark colors, the camera has difficulty in picking me up. I simply opened my jacket revealing a light colored shirt and it picked me up way better. Also learned that if it is tracking a target and while tracking, a brighter target enters the field, it will latch on to the lighter image and disregard what it is tracking regardless of following a locked on target, even if it is a tree. Using more contrast at night has helped considerably even though what the monitor displays is an unfavorable image to your eye. The capture can always be edited in post anyway. I know I can't expect too much at this cost level but it is just so close to perfect. I am hoping Dahua has another FW release that will speed up focus time. It is clear time is running out as they release newer cameras constantly and the older a model gets, the less love it gets.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
My SD49225XA does not show any signs of focus problems like yours. It's obviously plain to see it is a focus problem and if you have done as you have said factory resets and so on and still the same then I would be asking for either a replacement camera or a Full Refund from whoever you purchased it from.

*EDIT * I take it that you have set the focus limit , I always have mine set @10cm or auto

Last edited:

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My SD49225XA does not show any signs of focus problems like yours. It's obviously plain to see it is a focus problem and if you have done as you have said factory resets and so on and still the same then I would be asking for either a replacement camera or a Full Refund from whoever you purchased it from.

*EDIT * I take it that you have set the focus limit , I always have mine set @10cm or auto
I had focus limit set to Auto. I just set it to 10cm as a last ditch effort. I bought from Andy so if it still has the issue, I will contact him. I am glad I bought from him, he has been awesome.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I personally think it's a " lemon" as should work fine in AUTO MODE but hope it works for you set @10cm as it saves all the wait and hassle of returning it and waiting for your replacement. This is the reason I ONLY buy UK now Next working day exchange with a 3 year warranty - No Quibbles or silly questions asked I've had to many bad experiences with Chinese sellers in the past.

Good Luck and I hope it all works out ok for you.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here is another vid after trying focus limit at 10cm. Still slow as molasses. I count approx 5 seconds at that zoom level. After it zooms in more it is fast to focus. Maybe I will try to go larger for the target size and see.

mumbles76

n3wb
Reaction score
I noticed in the first two videos that there was rain on the ground. Have you checked the outer lens for water or other obstructions stuck on the glass?

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
If I was you I would do a Factory Default Completely recover device parameters to factory default including the IP NOT JUST Default Other configurations will be recovered to default except network IP address, user management and so on.

It should focus on all default even though it is set to Semi Focus by default if not then I would return it for a replacement or refund.