SD49225XA Focus

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I noticed in the first two videos that there was rain on the ground. Have you checked the outer lens for water or other obstructions stuck on the glass?
This last video, the weather is dry and there is nothing on the lens. I am thinking there is a problem with focus at a particular focal length.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Just curious if you had any further luck with getting the focus to work as it should or is it RMA time?

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just curious if you had any further luck with getting the focus to work as it should or is it RMA time?
No luck. Tried everything under the sun. I have an email out to the supplier so hopefully it can be replaced. Not looking for a repair though.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that but don't let it put you off the SD49225XA is a very capable budget camera and when set up right it out performs camera's more than double the price. I suppose the ball ache is now waiting for the return to be returned and the replacement to arrive if the seller accepts it's faulty.

I hope you get it sorted anyway and post some nice clean in focus clips.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that but don't let it put you off the SD49225XA is a very capable budget camera and when set up right it out performs camera's more than double the price. I suppose the ball ache is now waiting for the return to be returned and the replacement to arrive if the seller accepts it's faulty.

I hope you get it sorted anyway and post some nice clean in focus clips.
Can you share a clip of how yours functions? I am going to check out Wildcats review and see how his performed.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Last edited:

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sure some below and have a look here Post 115# Dahua 4K PTZ DH-SD8A820WA-HNF
My tracking is good and would say it has a 8/9 out 10 for success rate and all in focus all the time.
Yeah my focus is nowhere close to that. Going to do 5 reset to defaults in a row later on because I was advised to try that so I will see how it goes. In the mean time the supplier has reached out and I am going to send footage if it is still crap.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
5 Factory Default resets and it STILL has focus issues. I am really using this post to document all of my attempts so I have a log. The supplier has reviewed the clip I sent and has sent me another firmware to try. It is all loaded in and tomorrow will be more testing. Now I don't see any auto tracking capabilities, WTF! Would be nice to see an explanation of what each firmware does so I am not going in circles. Also was told that Blue Iris is not recommended with these cameras. SMH, I cant see changing the entire system. Glad this is somewhat of a hobby. It sure is time consuming... and a little aggravating. HERE IS THE ANSWER... Focus issues on ALL 3 Firmwares, the camera is DEFECTIVE.

Last edited:

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Who told you that Blue Iris is not recommended with the SD49225-XA ? I'm running BI5 with my 49225 and it works perfect. I would Email BI support and ask them.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Who told you that Blue Iris is not recommended with the SD49225-XA ? I'm running BI5 with my 49225 and it works perfect. I would Email BI support and ask them.
Andy from Empire Tech. Can you let me know what fw you are running?

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
What firmware are you on now? and again I would Go direct to the software developer and throw him an Email ask him why this camera does not work on Blue Iris

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@rcirz hopefully connecting up this afternoon helped. Ping me direct if you need anything else

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@rcirz hopefully connecting up this afternoon helped. Ping me direct if you need anything else
Thanks again for all your help and the priceless knowledge you explained in fine detail. I have confidence that tomorrow's captures will be sharp and stay in focus.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you now sorted this as it would be good to update the thread to how or why along with clips.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@ljw2k believe @rcirz is still testing some of the things I suggested, found and changed. I’m sure he’ll report back or reach out once he’s finished that. If the things I mentioned above did assist, I will be sure to post here as well.

Have you now sorted this as it would be good to update the thread to how or why along with clips.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you share some of the suggestions and settings that you changed so it focused proper as it may help me or others in the future who have this camera. I would have thought 5 factory resets would have well put the camera back to default and it should focus well even though a factory reset sets the focus to Semi-Focus not Auto. It was Daytime he was having problems with in his clips and I have tried to replicate his problems with my camera and can't get it to go out of focus like his did.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Warning! Go pee cause I am yappin for a while lol.

Didn't want to leave anyone hanging. @ljw2k @Wildcat_1 has made huge improvements on my setup and it is a work in progress. It is too early for me to write a complete summary of events as we have yet to see how some of the latest adjustments will perform. I can say that I feel confident that I may have been wrong about my 49225 having hardware issues related to focus. I am not surprised as my fuse is a touch too short and even at my age need to learn more patience, especially since Wildcat has been so patient and super helpful. I feel extremely so that I need to do something nice for him even though he asks for nothing in return for his priceless time and wisdom. I at least, have started a large journal of everything I am learning. I am somewhat disappointed in myself for not being able to figure this out. To this date, aside from this PTZ, there is nothing that has defeated me in regard to accomplishing my goals. OK, enough of my hot air. In regard to my 49225XA, I had many things that were causing focus to go out. One main point is that I had too many IVS rules in one preset, my main preset in my case, we refer to it as Overwatch. When using "auto tracking", the PTZ has a lot of things to do and calculate. Having too many rules causes confusion in the camera because just as it is triggered, it starts to adjust so it can track, zoom and focus on the target. In my case, before it even has time to fine tune, another rule was tripped and it has to start again. Part of the solution was to simplify my rules. All that is needed is a basic few rules to get the ball rolling. I had 10 rules in one preset. Now I have 3. Now, the PTZ can be allowed the time to do its thing. This has worked very well. I also have a couple of objects in my view that are causing difficulty. One is a big white van, the other is a friggin tree which I would love to chop down. Regardless, Wildcat has made some adjustments which have almost eliminated the problems. One thing, and I am super curious about is how he changed the zoom of the camera at the very area of the "friggin tree" out a little so the tree doesn't take up too much of the frame and disrupt the track. It then zooms back in once the target clears the tree area. This is a really cool tactic and I am so eager to know how he did it. He said it is an adjustment, not some code to add. So that is a small summary of what is going on. I will follow up once I can contribute something useful for others and we are done making adjustments. Here is an example of what I described in regard to the friggin tree... It is subtle but it happens.

I am SUPER grateful !!!!

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@rcirz you did a good job summarizing my findings, recommendations and adjustments that I detailed and am glad they are working well. Some of the caps I took this afternoon on your cam look great.

If anyone needs further assistance or more details then let me know.

The feature I dialed in for you is the Tracking Target size that I just uploaded a video on in my SD5A425XA-HNR review. The post is located here - Review: Dahua SD5A425XA-HNR 4MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ

@rcirz just reach out if you need any further assistance and I will also check back in with you in a few days.

Warning! Go pee cause I am yappin for a while lol.

Didn't want to leave anyone hanging. @ljw2k @Wildcat_1 has made huge improvements on my setup and it is a work in progress. It is too early for me to write a complete summary of events as we have yet to see how some of the latest adjustments will perform. I can say that I feel confident that I may have been wrong about my 49225 having hardware issues related to focus. I am not surprised as my fuse is a touch too short and even at my age need to learn more patience, especially since Wildcat has been so patient and super helpful. I feel extremely so that I need to do something nice for him even though he asks for nothing in return for his priceless time and wisdom. I at least, have started a large journal of everything I am learning. I am somewhat disappointed in myself for not being able to figure this out. To this date, aside from this PTZ, there is nothing that has defeated me in regard to accomplishing my goals. OK, enough of my hot air. In regard to my 49225XA, I had many things that were causing focus to go out. One main point is that I had too many IVS rules in one preset, my main preset in my case, we refer to it as Overwatch. When using "auto tracking", the PTZ has a lot of things to do and calculate. Having too many rules causes confusion in the camera because just as it is triggered, it starts to adjust so it can track, zoom and focus on the target. In my case, before it even has time to fine tune, another rule was tripped and it has to start again. Part of the solution was to simplify my rules. All that is needed is a basic few rules to get the ball rolling. I had 10 rules in one preset. Now I have 3. Now, the PTZ can be allowed the time to do its thing. This has worked very well. I also have a couple of objects in my view that are causing difficulty. One is a big white van, the other is a friggin tree which I would love to chop down. Regardless, Wildcat has made some adjustments which have almost eliminated the problems. One thing, and I am super curious about is how he changed the zoom of the camera at the very area of the "friggin tree" out a little so the tree doesn't take up too much of the frame and disrupt the track. It then zooms back in once the target clears the tree area. This is a really cool tactic and I am so eager to know how he did it. He said it is an adjustment, not some code to add. So that is a small summary of what is going on. I will follow up once I can contribute something useful for others and we are done making adjustments. Here is an example of what I described in regard to the friggin tree... It is subtle but it happens.

I am SUPER grateful !!!!