l4cky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
isnt cat 7 better? or cat6a?

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
isnt cat 7 better? or cat6a?
No benefit really in a home environment. All the cameras run at 100 meg anyway. For the home, CAT6 is plenty even for streaming 1080p at full rate.

l4cky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No benefit really in a home environment. All the cameras run at 100 meg anyway. For the home, CAT6 is plenty even for streaming 1080p at full rate.
thanks.

what is the utp and what is shield vs unshielded, and what is twisted? What are they for?

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
thanks.

what is the utp and what is shield vs unshielded, and what is twisted? What are they for?
UTP = Unshielded Twisted Pair. Helps cancel out electromagnetic interference (EMI) and keeps your speeds up.

When terminating Cat6 (and all, it's best to keep the untwisted portion as short as possible.

Twisted pair - Wikipedia

Shielded really isn't necessary unless you have large DC motors starting constantly. Working with, and terminating those ends sucks.....:confused:

SD

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
yeah, I only make cables for the long ass runs to the cameras, 2 terminations and done lol. everything else I use already made stuff and just coil up the extra. I need to get a bunch of little shorties, might see if they have em on ebay cheaper than mono price, for patching from switch to POE midspan. Also about to hook up my replacement ultra bullet that Andy was awesome enough to warranty and play with it lol.
I got the cables from E-Bay.

If you get a 10 pack, they are $1.30 each for the 1 footers, if you like the same color. I prefer a little variety.

Cat6 550MHz patch cable molded jacks 1ft 2ft 3ft 5ft 6ft 7ft 10ft Lot of 1,5, 10

SD

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is why I tell people to use patch panels and pre-made patch cables.
Yep. All my Ethernet runs are terminated to a patch panel which then use pre-made patch cables between networking equipment. If you want to get fancy you can even get custom lengths made.

Negative. These are pics of the Monoprice ones, which are NO GOOD.
The 3 piece suits have the spreader/separator and hold the outer sleeve in place with a crimp bar.
I've never seen the 3 piece suits in Australia and the standard 2 piece which are similar if not identical to the Monoprice you speak of are common as shit over here. I've used both those and the modular plugs without cable bar and I've never had one pull out unless you are bloody determined and even then they put up a pretty good fight.

Lol. Yep. Thats what you get when the electricians terminate your cables! They should stick to running 14/2, 12/2 and 14/3!
I couldn't live with the shame....

Tools of the trade.

Terminating tonight.
Good man! I figured it wasn't you who was to blame for that shoddy work but seriously.. how could you walk away from a job leaving cables in that state. Like you said electricians should stick to what their good at.

The original Cat5e which was run by an electrician when we moved didn't comply with the Cat5e standard of only having up to a 1/2" of untwisted pairs, ripped it out, shortened and re-punched.

Last edited:

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Monoprice connectors listed above don't have the cable bar, they have these tiny "ears" for lack of a better description. The outer sheath/sleeve wiggles around when crimped more than I prefer, and that's with 23 AWG Cat 6. 24 AWG Cat5e moves around like it's in a washing machine. I shelved them and ate the $7.95 from Monoprice. In hindsight, the reviews from MP clearly stated this issue. Caveat emptor.

SD

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The Monoprice connectors listed above don't have the cable bar, they have these tiny "ears" for lack of a better description. The outer sheath/sleeve wiggles around when crimped more than I prefer, and that's with 23 AWG Cat 6. 24 AWG Cat5e moves around like it's in a washing machine.
That's shitty. The ones I buy have a strain relief bar which the crimp tool pushes into the cable and locks it in.