Searching for camera info/suggestions

vrman

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I've run the gamut of owning "cheap" cams like foscam on up to axis and mobotix. Pretty much all of my axis 207w cameras are out of commission now. I had a PTZ foscam that was good for about a year and then died. I use Blue Iris as my NVR. I'm a DIY type of guy so I put my own home security system together instead of using a boxed solution. I'm also in IT, so tech doesn't scare me. :) I know 90% of security is deterrence, because if they want your stuff, they are going to take your stuff! And obviously the pros are going to know how to evade being identified on video. So I know spending a huge amount on home security is not cost effective. But I don't want junk equipment that is going to break down constantly. So I'm willing to spend for quality.

I'm moving into a new house in a few months, that is currently being built. So I have a unique opportunity to get wiring installed and prepped for the new system. So everything will be cat6 POE awesomeness!

I noticed that a lot of co-workers are going the ring video doorbell route. While the price point is on the low side, and some of the video I have seen from those units is pretty bad, I was looking at something more pro like the axis A8105 door station that has more flexibility and features. But at $800, it is maybe a little too pro for me. :wow: Might there be a happy medium that someone may know of?

I still have my mobotix M15, (awesome camera btw!) which I think I'm going to use to cover the backyard instead of the driveway. So I'm looking for a quality camera or three to cover the driveway, and sides of the house.

I've been playing around with the Amazon echo and Google Assistant, so I'm looking at seeing if some kind of integration is possible with those. Also, I'd like to figure out how to install a flat touch panel on a wall (maybe 12"?) that would show the video feeds from the security cameras so any time you want, you could just glance over at it. Maybe have some minimal functionality like selecting a specific camera and maybe zooming in/out on it.

I'm trying to do the research, but I'm having trouble finding sites that have "real" reviews of security cameras. All I can find is just the typical "top 10" garbage out there that just promotes the cheapest junk available.

Any suggestions you guys have that have been working with cameras for a while or pointing me to some great review sites would be very much appreciated!

Reaction score
You're fortunate, LTS Security authorized dealers are selling the new Hikvision doorbell camera for less than $200. Check the threads here for the LTS and the Clare doorbell cameras. They're both the exact same thing, manufactured by Hikvision.

Regarding outdoor cameras, it's very difficult to beat the Dahua 4231EM-AS "Starlight" turret cameras. If you want varifocal (zoom) capability, the Dahua 5231R-Z is also a Starlight turret. Both sell for about $120 to $170 on @EMPIRETECANDY 's site on AliBaba.

Last edited:

vrman

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll check out the turret cameras. Looks like the varifocal 2mp has some really great reviews on it. That Hikvision doorbell camera doesn't seem to be POE. Do you know of any POE types? I'm just trying to stay away from wireless if I can.

Thanks!