Searching for plug'n'play camera system with smart features (vehicle, face, animal detection)

urosbe

n3wb
Reaction score
I am a web developer with quite a few years of experiences but completely newbie when it comes camera security system ;) When I was building the house, I prewired UTP cable to all the spots where I would like to have camera installed, so PoE cameras are the ones that I am searching for.

What I currently have and why I am disappointed?
I have already bought 4 Dahua IP dome cameras 4 years ago. Without any experiences I have bought some fancy unnecessary expensive models with high megapixels and AI features with SD cards in each of the camera (without NVR), because nobody told me NVR should do the main work with AI and camera megapixels are not such important. The big disappointment is also camera body type - I did not know that dome style cameras are completely useless at night.

What I need?
From experience I have learned so far I would like to find the whole system (5-6 cameras + NVR) that works together well and camera types should be turret (not a fan of bullet ones because whole house style is minimalism). I probably do not expect too much in the middle of 2023 that camera sends me notification on my mobile phone when it detects vehicle or unfamiliar face. And not the spider or spy that is showing off in front of the camera at night.

What I like?
I like simple plug'n'play system that works. For example I had option to try Netatmo Presence outdoor camera in the past. All I had to do is to wire power to the camera, install the app and the camera started to detect vehicles, persons and pets thru the window, because I had it on the table in the office just for test. My Dahua camera detected 1 person (yes, just one!) in 4 years and that was me on the ladder when installing the camera so my face was 30cm from the camera :) I simply didn't know how to setup the camera because web interface was to complicated for a newbie.

I have figured out that there are 2 different worlds in camera systems nowadays. Fancy, smart featured AI cameras with simple and easy-to-use mobile apps with amazing UI, but hardware is usually wireless, battery or USB powered that I do not like. Another world are PoE systems with old, not so fancy apps with not so good user experience (as Dahua web interface or DMSS mobile app). I have not found system that would combine best of both worlds so far.
When I was searching today for "best PoE camera systems" I have realized there are other brands like this Lorex setup that offers the features that I like, but I have read not all the people are satisfied with Lorex, so maybe it's just a good marketing. But I like the features the that camera have - LED light, smart security light, 2-way audio, vehicle&face&animal detection, ...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Study this: Cliff Notes
And
This: Camera Suggestions

ANY camera must be properly tuned for it's FOV, leaving any cam on defaults or auto will NOT usually provide the best performance the camera is capable of.
So, there is really no such thing as plug n play if you expect a good experience.