Searching for software for a PTZ

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have on order a PTZ IP camera.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/507-20XC-audio-Zoom-Outdoor-Mini-IR-CUT-2MP-HD-1080P-IP-Network-PTZ-Speed-Dome/32287476107.html

I have not received the camera as of yet. I have downloaded the software from the vendor, while it appears to have most of the normal stuff I am not sure if it will do the following:
I intend to use this as a Weather camera to take pictures of the sky.
I would like to be able to do the following:
1) Rotate to each of the 8 compass points (N, NE,E,SE Ect.) Wait 5-10 seconds take a picture.
2) Tag each picture with time and date stamp and the direction facing..
3) Upload the pictures to my web server with the same name each time. (8 Pictures and names in all)
4) Sleep for 15-30 minutes.
5) Repeat the process till dark. (may have to program that in by hand as the seasons change)

I have to see the size of each picture it will produce to see how band width will play in to how often It takes and uploads a picture.

Can anyone suggest software to look at?
I am aware of Blue Iris, have to send them an email and see what they have to say.
I am NOT oppose to paying for it if it will do what I want.
The canned software that comes with the camera will "PATROL" set areas, but I am not yet sure about the taking picture part.

Bob

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I can assure you that the software that comes with the camera cannot do what you want...
You can do most of that stuff with blue iris.....there is a 15 day demo you can try when you get your cam..

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was going to try blue iris once the cam gets here.
It sounds like it will do what I want. we shall see.
And I know there is a section on here devoted to Blue Iris.

TD22057

n3wb
Reaction score
I doubt there is anything already built that will do that. However, many camera support the ONVIF standard camera interface which I think can be used to do all of that. I've never actually done that but it shouldn't be too hard to script up a set of move commands and snapshots to do what you want. There is a python script here : https://github.com/Pegax/pyOnvif/blob/master/pyonvif.py which has some of the PTZ commands in it.