Secured Home Cameras

Magic58

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been looking for some time to buy new cameras and doorbell with camera for my house. Would like to buy from one vendor so I only have one app that I need to look at . I have been looking for one company that can provide outdoor cameras, Flood Camera and Doorbell camera that use SD Storage in case I do not want to use or pay for Cloud storage and POE cameras since I do not like the idea of having to replace batteries. I thought I settled on Armcrest until I found out they are easy to hack into because I what I found on Are Amcrest Cameras Secure? 5 Important Security Facts and CVE-2019-3948. Was originally looking at Foscam and found out that ArmCrest is the USA version of Foscam. I also found that Dahua and Hickvision cameras are banned from FCC due to they are built by China and they do not enforce the security that is recommended in USA. I am also looking for a manufacture that I can integrate with Home Assistant if possible. Also trying to stay away from having to use a NVR if possible.

Are there any recommendations of cameras that folks can suggest that I look at that use SD Storage, POE, and are not banned in the USA for Home Use.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Regardless of which brand of IP cameras, video doorbells and other IoT devices you purchase, ALL of them should be kept off the Internet.

Find the Dahua or Hikvision cameras you like and that satisfy your applications, buy from a reputable dealer (such as @EMPIRETECANDY of Empire Technology), then install, configure and set up as discussed by countless threads on this forum...then enjoy them.

Andy:
IPCT Store | Amazon shop | AliExpress

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Magic58

n3wb
Reaction score
Regardless of which brand of IP cameras, video doorbells and other IoT devices you purchase, ALL of them should be kept off the Internet.

Find the Dahua or Hikvision cameras you like and satisfy your applications, buy from a reputable dealer (such as @EMPIRETECANDY of Empire Technology), then install, configure and set up as discussed by countless threads on this forum...then enjoy them.

Andy:
How do I keep them off the internet if I want to view them remotely on a phone App and want to access the SD Storage on each camera.

Reaction score
I also found that Dahua and Hickvision cameras are banned from FCC due to they are built by China
They are not banned for commercial or homeowner use. Just for Gov't use.

I thought I settled on Armcrest until I found out they are easy to hack into
As stated above, any cam can be hacked. The way to prevent this is to not connect them to the internet. Which means isolate them from the part of your home LAN that has internet access. This can be done in several different ways.

See the WIKI for this information.

Reaction score
Also see the links below:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been looking for some time to buy new cameras and doorbell with camera for my house. Would like to buy from one vendor so I only have one app that I need to look at . I have been looking for one company that can provide outdoor cameras, Flood Camera and Doorbell camera that use SD Storage in case I do not want to use or pay for Cloud storage and POE cameras since I do not like the idea of having to replace batteries. I thought I settled on Armcrest until I found out they are easy to hack into because I what I found on Are Amcrest Cameras Secure? 5 Important Security Facts and CVE-2019-3948. Was originally looking at Foscam and found out that ArmCrest is the USA version of Foscam. I also found that Dahua and Hickvision cameras are banned from FCC due to they are built by China and they do not enforce the security that is recommended in USA. I am also looking for a manufacture that I can integrate with Home Assistant if possible. Also trying to stay away from having to use a NVR if possible.

Are there any recommendations of cameras that folks can suggest that I look at that use SD Storage, POE, and are not banned in the USA for Home Use.
Amcrest is not USA foscam. Years ago the predecessor to amcrest sold foscam. Amcrest rebrands dahua so any amcrest camera you buy is made by dahua with the same exact faults. Hik and dahua are just as secure as any china brand you buy, if not more because they dominate the market so they are always looked at by hackers. As noted, not one camera out there is secure so expose them to the net. Use a vpn or something like zerotier.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I have been looking for some time to buy new cameras and doorbell with camera for my house. Would like to buy from one vendor so I only have one app that I need to look at . I have been looking for one company that can provide outdoor cameras, Flood Camera and Doorbell camera that use SD Storage in case I do not want to use or pay for Cloud storage and POE cameras since I do not like the idea of having to replace batteries.
There is no need to confine yourself to one brand of camera. To record your cameras, you'll find it much easier if you end up with some sort of software solution (BlueIris is far and away the best choice here) or a hardware NVR setup to connect your cameras to. If you do this, access to your cameras will come from the "recording solution" not the individual cameras. In other words, you'll always access the camera's through a single entry point/software/ web GUI, etc so the fact that you might have different brands of cameras will not make a difference. It is much smarter to select your cameras based on your goals and the performance of each individual camera. If one brand can provide everything that you need, that's great. But if it means that you need to select cameras from different brands to be able to get the best camera for each location/goal/need you have, then absolutely do that. Right now I have 12 cameras - from four different manufacturers - located in two geographic locations about 40 miles apart - and still access them all through a single app/web GUI.

I thought I settled on Armcrest until I found out they are easy to hack into because I what I found on Are Amcrest Cameras Secure? 5 Important Security Facts and CVE-2019-3948. Was originally looking at Foscam and found out that ArmCrest is the USA version of Foscam. I also found that Dahua and Hickvision cameras are banned from FCC due to they are built by China and they do not enforce the security that is recommended in USA. I am also looking for a manufacture that I can integrate with Home Assistant if possible. Also trying to stay away from having to use a NVR if possible.

There are two things to consider with regard to Chinese cameras. The first is the "hacking" or security risk that these cameras pose. The truth is that you have nothing more or less to fear about using Chinese cameras vs other brands. You are also confused about the "ban" in place. It has nothing to do with home use and only applies to Federal Government installations. Here are my thoughts that I have posted several times (and I'm too lazy to retype it all out - so here is a cut and paste from another thread). It talks about the "ban" as well as other factors.......

Do not let the fact that these cameras are produced in China scare you from using them. There are two levels of "hacking" threats IMHO. The first is to the general population like you and me. We primarily have to be worried about our devices "spying" on us (ie sending information back to unknown servers) and our devices being taken over for "bot armies". Both of these threats are effectively eliminated with a properly secure local network which does not allow these devices access to/from the internet. The second level is stuff that governments and large corporations need to worry about. These are targeted and active attempts to break into networks. These are done on high value targets due to the time and cost, so it's not something the average person has to worry about. Yes the US Gov has barred Chinese cameras from being installed at their facilities and with good reason.

Personally I agree with the Chinese ban for government installations. Large businesses, utility companies and governments need to be worried about much more than the average person. Don't under estimate the level of digital warfare that is being waged today. As an example, take the Iranian uranium centrifuges that were damaged a few years back using a virus even though they were on a "closed network" without internet access. That virus floated harmlessly around the world until it finally found itself on the right network with the right centrifuges installed on it. At that point it was able to damage the equipment in such a small way that it went unnoticed for quite a long time. While that attack had to work it's way onto the centrifuge network by spreading throughout the world first, a camera would be a perfect trojan horse to get nefarious things onto an isolated (ie no WAN connection) network. The Chinese wouldn't have to figure out how to penetrate a secure government facility to upload something nefarious because we would install it ourselves when we installed their camera. Of course that type of attack would be very focused and have a specific target. Unless some sort of equipment on your network was specifically targeted, any virus would just "float around" looking for it's intended target just like the Iranian centrifuge virus did. This type of attack by design is an offensive weapon rather than a "data collector" because without internet there is no way to pass data back. It could be an extremely effective weapon however and it's why the Federal Government has banned or is trying to ban Chinese cameras, network equipment, and even cellular equipment from being installed in their facilities.

That being said, these are issues that the general public doesn't need to worry about. There is nothing on our home networks that the Chinese are going to "target" with that type of sophisticated attack. That's why I am perfectly fine with running Dahua cameras at my house. Of course they are on their own isolated VLAN without internet access to prevent data collection and zombie bot use, but that should be done regardless of the manufacturer or country of manufacturing.

Second, you have to worry about "grey market" cameras and whether a camera you buy is really designed for the US market or if it is really a Chinese version using some hacked firmware with English directions. I would not buy Chinese cameras from just any vendor. I would certainly recommend you use a trusted vendor because there are plenty of people selling Chinese versions of cameras with a hacked "English" firmware on it. That is a receipt for disaster because the camera will likely brick the first time you try to update it.

On this forum, we love EmpireTech Andy. He is Chinese and has legitimate third party selling agreements with Dahua and other manufacturers. He sells his cameras under the Loryta and EmpireTech names, but they are genuine Dahua (or Hikvision, or whatever model you are looking at) models with genuine US Firmware installed on them. These are completely safe to use and update using the public firmware listed on the manufacture's website. That being said, most of us stick with Andy's firmware version because he (and several people on this forum) works closely with the engineers at Dahua and get features put into his firmware that simply aren't available in the manufacture's OEM versions. But you can use either version and even go to OEM and then back to Andy's custom versions or vice verse. Andy sells cameras directly to consumers (you can DM him via the forum), but also has an Amazon store if you want to go that route. That being said, Andy isn't the only legitimate seller of these cameras and you should feel comfortable with whoever you choose.

Last edited:

Magic58

n3wb
Reaction score

Find the Dahua or Hikvision cameras you like and that satisfy your applications, buy from a reputable dealer (such as @EMPIRETECANDY of Empire Technology), then install, configure and set up as discussed by countless threads on this forum...then enjoy them.

Andy:
Andy what is your thought about EZVIZ cameras? It looks like they are built by HikVision. I want to start with a doorbell camera and floodlight with camera for my garage. Ezviz makes both but I do not see that Hikvision sells a Floodlight with camera. I also see that Hikvision uses an mobile app called Hik-Connect. I would like to have all my cameras use one mobile app which why I am trying to stay with one vendor. Do you know if Hik-Connect supports EZVIZ cameras? If they did then I could buy either EZVIZ cameras or HikVision cameras.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Floodlight cameras are usually problematic because it takes time for the camera to adjust to the lighting change. Either use LED floodlights that are always on or use cameras with infrared capability. My experience with one EZviz camera was very bad, a DB1C doorbell that actually worked for about two weeks before failing constantly by resetting itself. Stick to prosumer level equipment, the rest is just consumer level junk marketed to people that don't really understand, or want to take the trouble to learn, what video surveillance really takes. It is not what you see on TV or in the movies. There is no "enhance" button in real life.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Andy what is your thought about EZVIZ cameras? It looks like they are built by HikVision. I want to start with a doorbell camera and floodlight with camera for my garage. Ezviz makes both but I do not see that Hikvision sells a Floodlight with camera. I also see that Hikvision uses an mobile app called Hik-Connect. I would like to have all my cameras use one mobile app which why I am trying to stay with one vendor. Do you know if Hik-Connect supports EZVIZ cameras? If they did then I could buy either EZVIZ cameras or HikVision cameras.
The Hik-Connect can be used to add a EZVIZ camera if you want. EZVIZ offered three different flood light cameras and all three looked decent but offered incredibly shitty WiFi connectivity. :facepalm: As @sebastiantombs noted their door bell camera looks pretty nice but also has serious issues with connectivity and needing to be rebooted.

Truth be told I would have never ever bought a single product from this line. If it wasn't for the fact this hardware was provided to me as a gift / beta testing.

Magic58

n3wb
Reaction score
The Hik-Connect can be used to add a EZVIZ camera if you want. EZVIZ offered three different flood light cameras and all three looked decent but offered incredibly shitty WiFi connectivity. :facepalm: As @sebastiantombs noted their door bell camera looks pretty nice but also has serious issues with connectivity and needing to be rebooted.

Truth be told I would have never ever bought a single product from this line. If it wasn't for the fact this hardware was provided to me as a gift / beta testing.
Do you feel I should stay away from the Hikvision productions since they make EZVIZ cameras ?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say real Hikvision cameras, not other brands OEM'ed by Hikvision, are fine. I feel the same about Dahua. There are exceptions to every "rule" though and some of the OEM stuff can be reasonably good and less expensive. The problem becomes finding out which ones those are.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you feel I should stay away from the Hikvision productions since they make EZVIZ cameras ?
No, the Hikvision brand is geared toward the professional and enterprise customer. Whereas the EZVIZ hardware is marketed toward the average consumer.

Don’t take what I stated about the EZVIZ hardware as a broad brush to exclude them from your choices. So long as you understand there are reasons for one over the other being 2-3 times cheaper!

If your price sensitive like 99% of the population seeing a $39.XX camera is hard to ignore or beat. The problem comes when you need the same to perform.

Given both Dahua / Hikvision have pushed the envelope of video technology so the average person is hard pressed to tell the difference at first glance.

Case in point the latest rage of night time colour video on the latest and cheapest video security cameras?!?

Very few of these cameras are using the correct size sensor to resolution whether that be 1/1.8”, 1/1.2” for 4-8MP. There are dozens of other attributes that allow a camera to see better in dark vs light that impact the overall quality of video.

Another perfect example is WDR (Wide Dynamic Range. If you see a camera indicating 130~140 WDR that is yet another attribute that allows a camera to see better.

At the end of the day do some research and read this forum and many more as to what to look for. Along with some of the best hardware to buy given a specific budget.

You don’t need to break the bank to get top shelf performance. But you do need to ask questions and invest time in personal research.

Reaction score
Read the Cliff Notes and the WIKI. Read threads that talk about basic cam technology and threads where people ask about specific uses. Continue asking good questions once you have done your readings. Ask for explanations where you do not understand something.

Read the reviews of specific cams here. Search for the word review in the title. Some reviews are quick, simple reviews and some are quite involved. Some reviews talk about how different cam attributes and settings impact the quality of the video. Reviews by @Wildcat_1 generally have that kind of information within the review and are quite enlightening.

There are many folks here that have a wide range of expertise. Realize that everyone has their opinion and some of those opinions can conflict. Ultimately it will be up to you to decide your course of action.

Also realize that you do not have to buy it all at once. Do a little at a time and build your expertise.

Magic58

n3wb
Reaction score
Read the Cliff Notes and the WIKI. Read threads that talk about basic cam technology and threads where people ask about specific uses. Continue asking good questions once you have done your readings. Ask for explanations where you do not understand something.

Read the reviews of specific cams here. Search for the word review in the title. Some reviews are quick, simple reviews and some are quite involved. Some reviews talk about how different cam attributes and settings impact the quality of the video. Reviews by @Wildcat_1 generally have that kind of information within the review and are quite enlightening.

There are many folks here that have a wide range of expertise. Realize that everyone has their opinion and some of those opinions can conflict. Ultimately it will be up to you to decide your course of action.

Also realize that you do not have to buy it all at once. Do a little at a time and build your expertise.
thanks for the reply samplenhold. I trying to see if I can go with one vendor initially so I have one app to look at videos and alerts. I know I may run into roadblocks after I add more cameras but trying to figure out the best path first.