Security camera installer reuses passwords

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blast company name here and on BBB and FB.

That sounds like the trunk slammer and has exposed many companies to vulnerability.
Sounds like lazy it tech ..

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Must admit I'm guilty of using admin on my cameras albeit with my own password. Then again I feel relatively secure as they're sat behind a modem firewall and a second router firewall neither of which are admin and both of which have secure passwords. So it would take bypassing 2 firewalls to reach my network.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Must admit I'm guilty of using admin on my cameras albeit with my own password. Then again I feel relatively secure as they're sat behind a modem firewall and a second router firewall neither of which are admin and both of which have secure passwords. So it would take bypassing 2 firewalls to reach my network.
There is a bit of a difference between you as a homeowner using the same user and password for all your cameras versus a company setting up a system for other businesses and using the same user/pw for every customer.

This dude probably sets it up as port forwards as well and thus allows a lot easier access for someone with his client list to be able to hack other people's systems.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is a bit of a difference between you as a homeowner using the same user and password for all your cameras versus a company setting up a system for other businesses and using the same user/pw for every customer.

This dude probably sets it up as port forwards as well and thus allows a lot easier access for someone with his client list to be able to hack other people's systems.
100% need to check network logs and activities. Basically info sec requirements need to pay attention to contractors and employees .. can be a real pain for many who want easy to get work done instead better secure way.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score

Yeah mine aren't the same passwords and I have VPN turned on in my router so no inbound connections are accepted unless sporting the right credentials.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Haha me too, however at the time nobody else had access and they were admin only passwords, I had users setup with different credentials, none of the systems were able to reach the Internet, it was on a closed network. When I left that Job, I'm confident on day 1 they changed all the passwords, I trained a really good tech and per protocol, all passwords need to be changed when a employee or contractor leaves.