Security camera recommendation

Slp82

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
First let me say, I am not sure if there are different guys in the Hikvision area than the Dahua area, as I posted a similar post there to get some recommendations. If the same guys are over here, I apologize for the repeat. Just hoping to get as many opinons and feedback as possible. So to make a long story short, we have some high school kids, possibly young adults, throwing eggs and shooting paintballs at our house from the roadway, approximately 60 to 80 feet away from the edge of the house. Police have been notified on multiple occasions with no solution other than us getting cameras. The police said make sure they are good enough quality to get a plate and possibly facial recognition (from 60 to 80 feet away). Sometimes it is day time, sometimes it is night. I know on Dahua side the starlight 2MP camera is the best nighttime camera, but I seriously doubt 2MP will get the plate or facial recognition needed. I know I can use optical zoom, which I am seriously considering at this point, but I also was kicking around the idea of using high quality 8MP with STARVIS sensor and low lux rating along with a high power IR external source light mounted near the camera shining over the property. Here is an example of what I am talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR130-198-Outdoor-300-400ft-Illuminator/dp/B004F9LF7E

https://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR110-114-Outdoor-200-300ft-Illuminator/dp/B003ZX1M88

https://www.amazon.com/Univivi-Infrared-Illuminator-Waterproof-Security/dp/B01G6K407Q

So I would be curious to hear your opinions on if you think this would work or not. If not, what optical magnification on which Hikvision camera would you recommend?

I am attaching before and after pictures other people who purchased the IR lights took and posted on Amazon.20190216_201927.jpg20190216_203025.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is interesting there are no moving object and no faces. Static pictures do not show a thing for security cameras, you need motion video.
As far as I know there are not any good 8MP night cameras.
Look at Hikvision DS-2CD2345FWD-I
Look at the videos in the Dahua starlight cameras posted by @looney2ns .
You will need a seperate camera to get the license plate, read the post on setting up an LPR camera.

Slp82

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is a link to a YouTube video of s guy demonstrating the IR light differences and he walks around in the camera view. Unfortunately it is obvious his caneras are nowhere near 8MP.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you haven't already, use the IPVM Camera Calculator V3 to test out cameras on a Google map image of your house. If I drop a Dahua 5831 Vari-focal on the map, zoom it all the way in and then drag the little guy 80 feet out, it shows a PPF of only 65. The general recommended PPF to ID someone is 100. So if you're really working with distances of 60-80 feet away and you want to ID, it looks like you'll need a good amount of optical zoom (more than the 13.5mm the 5831 comes with) to get that. If you haven't played with optical zoom much, remember that as the zoom increases, the width of the image decreases.

If you're still looking to play with 8MP, look at the newer ones that have the newer 1/2" (or even bigger 1/1.8") image sensors. They have minimum lux requirements that are only 1.5-2x more than the 2MP Starlights... The 8MP 1/2.5" models you are talking about have a min lux requirement that are 4x more than the 2MP Starlights.

And x2 on @SouthernYankee's comment about needing a dedicated camera for LPR at night. You'll have to change exposure settings and shutter speeds to capture plates at night, and when done properly, the camera will generally only see reflective things... everything else will generally be too dark to show up on that camera.

Slp82

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you haven't already, use the IPVM Camera Calculator V3 to test out cameras on a Google map image of your house. If I drop a Dahua 5831 Vari-focal on the map, zoom it all the way in and then drag the little guy 80 feet out, it shows a PPF of only 65. The general recommended PPF to ID someone is 100. So if you're really working with distances of 60-80 feet away and you want to ID, it looks like you'll need a good amount of optical zoom (more than the 13.5mm the 5831 comes with) to get that. If you haven't played with optical zoom much, remember that as the zoom increases, the width of the image decreases.

If you're still looking to play with 8MP, look at the newer ones that have the newer 1/2" (or even bigger 1/1.8") image sensors. They have minimum lux requirements that are only 1.5-2x more than the 2MP Starlights... The 8MP 1/2.5" models you are talking about have a min lux requirement that are 4x more than the 2MP Starlights.

And x2 on @SouthernYankee's comment about needing a dedicated camera for LPR at night. You'll have to change exposure settings and shutter speeds to capture plates at night, and when done properly, the camera will generally only see reflective things... everything else will generally be too dark to show up on that camera.
I have realized as far as license plates go, I will need a dedicated camera. I am thinking that since there is only one road that leads in and out of my area, I will simply install a license plate camera at about 24 inches above the ground, but cut out a hole in my fence on that street so it will catch every plate coming in and out while being hidden in my backyard.

Can you give me a part number or link to the cameras that are 8MP and have the 1/1.8 sensor you speak of, if that is the best? I plan to do some testing with whatever is the best low lux 8MP camera I can find with the addition of a external IR light used in combination. I will post some videos later of it recording night movement once I get everything setup. I will also mount a Dahua Starlight 2MP at the front and back doors just to ensure facial recognition on the off chance someone ever actually gets close or enters the home. Looks like I will ultimately have a mixture of cameras making up my system. I appreciate the help!