Security cameras on Construction site

Reaction score
Iv been asked to install security cameras on a number of construction sites for a company, the particular sites are just at the ground works stages so there is no power available to the work progresses.

Solar seems to be the obvious choice of power but I have no experience of this, I was wondering what is the best equipment and best way to set up, assuming 4G router/dongle per site with cloud based storage?

any help or advice will be appreciated

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
No power is a real limitation. It rules out 24 hour recording. Your recording will be limited to when a PIR or laser line indicates a trespasser.
To have video when an injury occurs? Are you trying to stop job site thefts? And then alert the police? Real-time security is tricky - check out videos by @bababouy. Human monitoring is effective, tho expensive.

When I was new to ipcam systems, I looked into a camera and alarm system for small construction sites. I did a search for the threads, results below.

Good luck! If follow-on questions, plz elaborate on your objectives.

Fastb

Reaction score
No power is a real limitation. It rules out 24 hour recording. Your recording will be limited to when a PIR or laser line indicates a trespasser.
To have video when an injury occurs? Are you trying to stop job site thefts? And then alert the police? Real-time security is tricky - check out videos by @bababouy. Human monitoring is effective, tho expensive.

When I was new to ipcam systems, I looked into a camera and alarm system for small construction sites. I did a search for the threads, results below.

Good luck! If follow-on questions, plz elaborate on your objectives.

Fastb
Thanks very much for your reply, il have a look at those search results.

The main objective is as a deterant to thrives and to raise alarm we the police can be contacted. It's excavators and dump trucks mainly that we are trying to protect and give some peace of mind wile off site.

Plan would be to have a parking area at night for the equipment and have a small number of cameras to give a good view of ant tresspasors and then a general view of the rest of the site.

There is generators on site for heating water and lighting in the canteen so can be used for charging if needed, but over the weekend won't be in use.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how do you plan on monitoring these cameras? With no power it would seem to be a safe assumption that there is no broadband connection either. A radio link could work, but that means even more power will be needed especially on weekends and holidays. I would suggest that a temporary power drop, and maybe even a cable drop, are just a bare necessity to accomplish what you're trying to do. Figure a 7 watt load for each camera, four cameras means 28 watts an hour for 48 hours and you're at almost 1350 watt hours at a nominal 12 volts. That means a large battery array just to cover the cameras, let alone a radio link at another 15-20 watts per hour. It is doable, but a temporary power drop would probably be less expensive and more reliable.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Deterrent: A "dummy cam" for $10 from Monoprice can deter. It includes a blinking led, powered by 9V baattery.
Cams might document WHO the thieves were, if you set up cams to get good facial shots. But often, the cams only document WHAT happened, since facial id, esp at night, may not be enough quality to positively identify folks.
A license plate cam may capture plates. See the LPR section here. Specialized, a bit tricky to set up.
Don't forget game cams.

A cellular modem to upload will have a cost per MB. Some modems/carriers don't provide a permanent external ip addr, so surfing into your job site isn't possible. When I checked with Verizon, a static, permanent ip addr was $500. Without that static ip, the job site can dial out, but you can't dial in, since the ip would/could always change. So you might receive a snapshot or brief video that was pushed out from the job site, but you can't surf in to view live video, or to use VoIP to send audio ("Get off my job site, the police have been called")

I also considered a point-to-point RF link, to reach a neighbor and share their internet connection. Getting neighbors to support this wold be problematic, the GC believed.

The commercially available job site security systems (cams, PIR) are too expensive for small GC. (eg: single family remodels)

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Most likely out of budget/scope however worth discussing and noting.

Here in the US larger construction companies look to deeply mobile security trailers. These are fully functional setups with solar, cellular, PA speakers, strobe lights, etc. A have seen them customized 100 different ways. Police departments also use these in high crime areas for temp security. If these construction companies are large enough it may not hurt to purchase 1 or 2 of these that can be moved around and placed at different projects. Long term, they are a great investment, but again, the business and size of the company needs to justify it.

Here is one example of what I am talking about