Security Install/Setup Advice

Reaction score
Hey everyone, looking for some advice to install my security system. I currently have a system running but I'm looking to upgrade my cameras & optimizing the location.

Below is the outline of my street. The property is 45ft wide and 23ft away from the sidewalk.

Currently, I have a bullet camera on position #1 and another turret on #3 to cover the entrance/drive way.

Looking to upgrade to the newer starlight camera and place them at #1 and #2. I'm also considering #4 & #5 as an alternative for ease of installation (actually cleaner since I can run a line through easily).

1. Recommendation on the best camera location to identify cars driving by and people walking on the sidewalk?
2. Camera recommendations? Focal length? I have a street light approx 40 feet away, which does provide a good amount of light.
3. Would it make sense for cameras to run in an X or / \ shape?

System:
Intel i7-6700T, 16GB of ram running BlueIris.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

2. Camera recommendations? Focal length? I have a street light approx 40 feet away, which does provide a good amount of light.
Welcome @dorkiedoode

I would recommend getting one varifocal Dahua OEM starlight / starlight+ model and testing your possible placements as well as FOV.

A 2MP 1080P camera at the 19.2 feet width H FOV point will have a density of about 100 ppf. A 4MP at the same H / V ratio will be about 1.5x that width ( 1.5x 19.2 feet ), so that will give you a good idea of what we like to consider ID distance here during good light conditions.

There is also a lens calculator you can use ( see the wiki notes )