Security Setup System

bob

n3wb
Reaction score
I have had 7 cameras for about the last 5 years, Everything is good, I run blue iris with foscams. I got to thinking the other day if I was robbed they would take the computer running blue iris and when I got home I could not even search to see who did this with the computer gone. How do you set up a system that will not get robbed. Do you set up a system in the basement, do you run a external hard drive off the switch in the basement. But I still have to monitor the cameras upstairs on the main computer. Is this possible ? Thanks for your help Bob

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All those options are possible. You can ftp your footage off site, you can also have a hidden nas in your home.

Reactions: bob

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First, you can lock down your pc with a pc lock, which makes it harder to cart off. Most of the time, burglars dont talk desktop pc, they are huge and generally have little value on the street...
You can as blake mentions, ftp images (or video, but video will use tons of bandwidth)off site....Some cameras can record direct to nas so you can do that as a back up. You can also have blue iris write the camera to nas. Along those same lines, you can have blue iris write to a local drive AND nas by creating cloned cameras (make the clones hidden so you dont get double cams on the screen). Depending on the cams you have, you can get a cheap NVR that will record 24/7 for around 100 dollars and hide it somewhere.

Reactions: bob