See any problem with my anticipated placement?

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I have 6 out of 7 cameras up so far and want to cover most of my driveway with my last camera. I'm thinking of mounting it to my garage door frame. (see red circle in my picture).

Does anyone see any problem(s) with this? My car is not big enough to hit the camera when pulling in and out.

Thanks you in advance for the help and for taking a look,

Attachments

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure why you would want it there? The header is gonna be more difficult to deal with wire routing. The positioning will block left side viewing angles if you ever want to swing it that way. There may also be ir light bounce back potentials from the side trim. Consider surface mounting it to the wall right if the right door. It can point down the driveway for now. If later you want a second camera by the doors you could either swing it right, or left, without the wall obstructing it.

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure why you would want it there? The header is gonna be more difficult to deal with wire routing. The positioning will block left side viewing angles if you ever want to swing it that way. There may also be ir light bounce back potentials from the side trim. Consider surface mounting it to the wall right if the right door. It can point down the driveway for now. If later you want a second camera by the doors you could either swing it right, or left, without the wall obstructing it.
Thanks for the feedback. The header is only a flat 2x4” so it’s easy to drill through. You do make a very valid point about directioning though. I was hoping to avoid mounting against a vertical wall to avoid the big extruding sideways mounted turret. Nonetheless that may be the best bet. I’ll have to spend some time out there and ponder the options.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...I was hoping to avoid mounting against a vertical wall to avoid the big extruding sideways mounted turret...
Hi Too

Consider the wall mount then, PFB203W or PFB204W - depending on the camera you mount.

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the info mat200 - I did think about that mount but again, becuse it's a vertical wall it would push the camera a good 8-10 inches away from the wall. I think I'm going to try it under the header of the garage door so I can feed the wires into the garage. It'll make the 5231 have a smaller "footprint" - worst case if I don't like it I can always move it if I leave extra wire in the garage.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info mat200 - I did think about that mount but again, becuse it's a vertical wall it would push the camera a good 8-10 inches away from the wall. I think I'm going to try it under the header of the garage door so I can feed the wires into the garage. It'll make the 5231 have a smaller "footprint" - worst case if I don't like it I can always move it if I leave extra wire in the garage.
FYI, just measured mine, it extends 6.5" at its longest point with the 5231ze mounted.
20180331_175442 (1).jpg

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You know what @looney2ns - you're right. I just went out to measure my sideways mounted 5231 on a PFA130 juntion box mounted to a vertical wall and it's only 6" off the wall. Strangely it looks much bigger than that.

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone know what the difference is between the PFB203 and PFB204 ?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone know what the difference is between the PFB203 and PFB204 ?

size

one is for the smaller turrets - IPC-HDW4xxx and the other for the larger turrets IPC-HDW5xxx