Seeking Recomendation - Linksys WVC80N Replacement

lamelogin

n3wb
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm looking for a replacement for my WVC80N (wireless IP camera). The existing problem is that I have to hardwire the WVC80N for it to be usable. If I try to use wireless/AES in anyway the thing just slows to a crawl.

I'm looking for an IP camera for security reasons, and I'd like the following features:

# Want:
  • Cheap - under $100
  • Able to connect to wireless (2.4 or 5Ghz - don't really care which)
  • Able to leverage DHCP to get IP and default router
  • Able sense motion/changes
  • Able to send images to ftpd or cifs/samba server

# Don't Want / Don't Care
  • I don't want to pay additional monthly charges. I don't want to use some "cloud service"
  • I don't want to be forced to send images outside my local network
  • I don't want to rotate SSD Cards
  • I don't really care about brand recognition
  • Don't care about sound
  • Don't care about video
  • Night vision would be nice, but not required
  • I don't care to interact with the camera from my phone (on the toilet)

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm looking for a replacement for my WVC80N (wireless IP camera). The existing problem is that I have to hardwire the WVC80N for it to be usable. If I try to use wireless/AES in anyway the thing just slows to a crawl.

I'm looking for an IP camera for security reasons, and I'd like the following features:

# Want:
  • Cheap - under $100
  • Able to connect to wireless (2.4 or 5Ghz - don't really care which)
  • Able to leverage DHCP to get IP and default router
  • Able sense motion/changes
  • Able to send images to ftpd or cifs/samba server

# Don't Want / Don't Care
  • I don't want to pay additional monthly charges. I don't want to use some "cloud service"
  • I don't want to be forced to send images outside my local network
  • I don't want to rotate SSD Cards
  • I don't really care about brand recognition
  • Don't care about sound
  • Don't care about video
  • Night vision would be nice, but not required
  • I don't care to interact with the camera from my phone (on the toilet)
Welcome @lamelogin

Requirements:
wireless + motion sensing
video does not matter?

Sounds like you want a wireless motion sensor?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@lamelogin ,

Welcome to IPCT ! :)

I suggest you consider the Amcrest IP2M-841 (re-branded Dahua) . It's ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p, IR, 2-way audio plus mike in/speaker out, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, record to micro SD card, wired or wireless and has alarm in/out, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Available here for $45 USD.

I've installed 4 of them and 3 of it's lower-res, 720p cousin the IPM-721 and all have functioned with no hiccups for the past 3 years.

EDIT 4/1/21: V3 of the IP2M-841 does NOT provide relay I/O nor jacks for an external mic and speaker.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

lamelogin

n3wb
Reaction score
TonyR,

Perfect! Thank you, sir!

@lamelogin ,

Welcome to IPCT ! :)

I suggest you consider the Amcrest IP2M-841 (re-branded Dahua) . It's ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p, IR, 2-way audio plus mike in/speaker out, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, record to micro SD card, wired or wireless and has alarm in/out, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Available here for $45 USD.

I've installed 4 of them and 3 of it's lower-res, 720p cousin the IPM-721 and all have functioned with no hiccups for the past 3 years.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

lamelogin

n3wb
Reaction score
I received the IP Camera and was messing with it a little bit. This seems like it's pretty advanced. MUCH better then what I had before.. Thank you.

I'm having two minor issues that I'm working with vendor support for. I hope this will be my last email, thank you for the suggestion on this product!!

1. I can't seem to get it to work with firefox. I'm going to try and clear cache and try again.
2. I can't get ftp to work says: "test failure; user read only right". I don't understand the error as I'm manually able to put, get, delete, and rename. I also see no errors in vsftpd.log. I'll need to figure this out with the vendor.