Selfie Cart

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Not Sure if this belongs in this area of the form but here goes. By trade I'm a I.T. person of 26 years who was given the job of installing Cameras in our Government Buildings. Its a work in progress and I have to deal with many different Department Heads, people and building layouts. The next job is say a facility that has a layout of hallways like a hospital with many long narrow hallways and 90 degree turns, Its like a maze. I met with the Director a few weeks ago and I told him I could give him a idea of what the cameras and pictures would look like. Here is what I threw together on short notice.

1. coffee cart
2. My old trusted laptop
3. one power injector
4. one 3mp 3.6 dome
5. one HP UPS battery backup.
6. a old broom stick and a scrap 2 by 4
7. some scrap 5e network cable
8. SmartPSS software

The pictures are of it somewhat disassembled but you will get the point. I threw everything into my truck and took a road trip. It not pretty but was able to wheel it around self contained, hold up the stick, look at the views and take a snapshot and aim it around and decide if was better to install on a wall or ceiling tile. I walked around for over two hours with the Director and his staff deciding where to put cameras inside and out. I copied all the pictures to a thumb drive so they could review them. Like I said it was crude but it worked well. The 3.6 dome worked well in most place but a 2.8mm will be better in some thin hallways, they agreed on 11 cameras for the install, it also gave me a good feeling that i was getting the correct cameras for the job. The network cable goes from the laptop through the POE injector direct to the camera, I also use this method to bench test new IP cameras. As long as the laptop and the camera are on the same subnet it will work. In this case no need for a crossover cable because I believe the camera is auto sensing and adjust for it. The Injector and laptop ran over two hours on the ups with no problems. Just hit the beep button to turn it off and it was a self contained setup.

20160304_161125.jpgcart.jpg20160304_161340.jpg20160304_153341.jpg

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Brilliant! Full marks for creativity, and reducing the chances of rework.
Heath Robinson would be impressed. No insult intended.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
awesome test rig, about the only thing your missing is a varifocal lens so you can show actual images with various lenses..

this would be perfect for anyone having to do alot of office installs... funnily enough Ive made something like this before for WiFi surveys in offices, put a UniFi Airmax on a broom stick, bungee it to a cart.. hook a laptop and spare UPS up and push it around watching the spectrograph output.. these lil carts are probably are some of the most underappreciated tools in an IT dept.. cherish yours always, when it goes missing and you have to carry a pallet of servers up 10 levels manually you'll kill someone to get it back :p

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely a smart, innovation and cost effective kit you put together there brother; YOU COULDN'T POSSIBLY WORK FOR THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, I have gleaned so much from this form so I thought I would give back and help others out in the same situation. Being the IT guy I had all the spare stuff hanging around so why not, even the coffee cart is used only on a limited basis. I had to google Heath Robinson but I laughed when I read who he was. Again thanks and I will be picking all your brains at some point about issues I run into.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
funnily enough Ive made something like this before for WiFi surveys in offices, put a UniFi Airmax on a broom stick, bungee it to a cart.. hook a laptop and spare UPS up and push it around watching the spectrograph output..
What software do you use for the surveys? I'm trying to figure out a way to do the same with unifi UAPs that we install

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ha. nice to know. Thank you

question - will using this work well to survey for use with Unifi APs?

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it surveys the actual band and not just scanning for wifi.. it'll show all sorts of interference from microwaves, bluetooth, remotes, etc.. so its good for surveying the entire 2.4G band for any use

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
A varifocal would be great for that demo cart, but I wonder if they make one that shows current lens length or even zoom level, say for example 1.3x the base 2.8mm to give 3.6mm view. An indoor PTZ could show at least the 1.3x part. I haven't seen a mere varifocal that shows zoom length yet, or if I have the settings to display it were hidden deep in the menus somewhere and I didn't see them.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
A varifocal would be great for that demo cart, but I wonder if they make one that shows current lens length or even zoom level, say for example 1.3x the base 2.8mm to give 3.6mm view. An indoor PTZ could show at least the 1.3x part. I haven't seen a mere varifocal that shows zoom length yet, or if I have the settings to display it were hidden deep in the menus somewhere and I didn't see them.
That would be nice, I just guess at the sliding scale in the camera setup.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Same here but if they can measure it for a PTZ they can do it for a varifocal. It's usually not important but if one is using it to judge lens lengths for fixed cams in front of clients it would be worth its weight in gold.