Sell Custom Lengths of Cat 6?

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
+1 for Momoprice..Very happy with them.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess you're both talking about me trying to make my own but I don't want to spend $200 or so on bulk cable when I only need a 35 ft run or at the most a 100 ft bulk spool for extra.
Hi mike2874

I have sometimes seen good quality left over bulk cable boxes on craigslist from installers.

In a past job site, I picked up a few boxes from the cabling guys for a few runs at home.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So is there any reason why this Monoprice Cat5e Ethernet Bulk Cable - Solid, 350MHz, UTP, CMR, Riser Rated, Pure Bare Copper Wire, 24AWG, 250ft, Black wouldn’t work for outside use and specifically for my needs? Or should I use CAT5e or CAT6 cable that’s outdoor rated?

Last edited:
Reaction score
If any part of that wire comes in contact with direct sunlight, it will deteriorate after so many years (could be 3...could be 20). PVC jackets are like vampires: sunlight is a nono.
Having said that...I ran indoor Cat6e cables under my eaves that will never see sunlight :)

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Another way is you could use some conduit. However, the ends would still be exposed and with the conduit it would probably be more expensive than simply buying an outdoor rated cable, not to say more complex. One disadvantage not mentioned to a pre-made cable is the hole needed to pass through walls / eaves etc needs to be larger due to the pre-fitted plugs. I've only done cat 5 indoors, but fitting pluigs was quite simple. Usually the plugs are colour coded to the wires inside the cable. You put the same colour wire (or in some cases striped wire) into the same colour terminal in the plug then use a special tool to push it down into the plug terminal. The tools cost anything from a couple of pounds to a few tens, depending on the quality but all do the same job. You probably could use a small screwdriver, however it's safer and faster with the tool.

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Don't see anything wrong with those cheap plastic connectors but that $29 eBay cable is shielded.

I was going to say you could indeed use indoor cable if there is no stretch exposed to the elements (sun, rain, fog, condensation) but apparently you have such a stretch so my advice remains to use outdoor cable.

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Or maybe try to find bulk CAT5e outdoor cable what do you think would this work? Actually I just read on their website that CAT5e bulk cable is not rated for outdoor use is that true?
Not sure what you read but CAT 5 cable itself can be outdoor rated just fine, even bulk. But if you crimp on a simple RJ-45 connector that connection by itself would not be outdoor rated. But didn't your Dahua cams come with those waterproof Ethernet connectors? That should take care of that.

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
and how are you gonna water proof pre made cables?
I would again suggest DIY as my friends. when I started making them, it was different but today you can DIY everything after spending less time than you spent here in youtube and less time to go and buy then than your online searches.
I can promise you that it won't be the last time you'd terminate cables. cheaper, better and it's waterproof your expensive camera.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes I think my Dahua's came with rubber boots to protect against moisture.

Can you guys link me to both a CAT5e & CAT6 outdoor rated bulk cable for no more than $50 or $60 that would work?

Does I understand correctly that an outdoor shielded cable is really not needed and a shielded cable is also not as flexible?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The boot supplied by Dahua is nice, but to be insure no water gets in to ruin an otherwise good installation, do the following as well.

1 - A small dab of dielectric grease on the pins of the RJ45 male before plugging in to the camera.
2 - Wrap the boot with a self amalgamating tape like Coax Seal extending onto the cable, on both ends, about an inch.
3 - Wrap that with several layers of quality electrical tape like Scotch 33+ or better.

Last edited:

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can you guys link me to both a CAT5e & CAT6 outdoor rated bulk cable for no more than $50 or $60 that would work?
$50 for what length?

Does I understand correctly that an outdoor shielded cable is really not needed and a shielded cable is also not as flexible?
Unless you have strong sources of EMI (ElectroMagnetical Interference) near your cable there is usually no reason to use shielded cable. Certainly not for 100Base-T Ethernet connections which is all you're gonna get to your Dahua cams.

Also, what sebastiantombs said.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The length for a bulk spool really doesn’t matter to me since it seems most start at 250 ft on up... heck as long as it’s 150 or more I would be happy.

Hazza06

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well my cables run below my soffit just under the eaves so yeah they probably get sunlight just not direct sunlight but would pretty much be out of the weather though. Actually the more I think about it there is a section of the cable that would be exposed to sunlight and the weather. Do you think a 35 ft patch cord is still an option for me considering what I just said and that I'm using PoE?

Or maybe try to find bulk CAT5e outdoor cable what do you think would this work? Actually I just read on their website that CAT5e bulk cable is not rated for outdoor use is that true?
UV light, even from indirect sunlight will destroy the cable fairly quickly. Do yourself a favor and run the cable through some conduit to protect the cable from the elements...and critters...even outdoor rated cable is destroyed by UV, UV light is very destructive, not much can survive it in medium / long term...

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I think too much is being made of cable being destroyed so easily. I've had cheap spaghetti analog bnc cable running over a fully exposed section of roof for 10 years and counting without issue. Coax for cable TV isn't exactly sheltered from the elements either up there. Sure, take some care with it but in my experience cables last and last through many years. Frankly, the gear they're attached to has failed, not the cables lol.