Selling house and need to swap in cheap cams

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Reaction score
Realtors in this area recommend you remove them prior to putting the house up for sale.
Kinda like an inground pool, to some folks it might be a motivator to buy, for others a complete turn off.
It's actually a really interesting point. I think about what I would do if I decided to sell our house with all the home
automation equipment I have installed and it is a similar situation with cameras. (BTW, I fully blame this website
for the proliferation of cameras around my house! :thumb: ) I have at least 25+ Z-wave light switches, two and three-way switches,
dimmers, receptacles, door locks, remotes, etc. installed, and that's just hardware. Then you have all the automation
for outdoor lighting, indoor lighting, security, hot water heater, camera integration, etc. As @looney2ns says about
the pool, some people might be completely turned off by all the camera and home automation equipment, yet for
others it might be a material buying factor. But there is no practical way to leave them my current system. Plus, a Z-wave
switch is orders of magnitude more expensive than a regular switch, to the degree that I would remove them and take
them with me. And others have pointed out, it is not practical to support any of this equipment after a home sale.

Speaking of support after the sale... It's been 30 years ago, but about 3 months after I sold a house, the new owner called
and demanded I have a new toilet valve installed. Try to imagine how hard I laughed.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One realtor friend told me that that a full bore surveillance cam system or home automation would turn away more than it would attract.
I just installed a bunch of Zooz zwave switchs, and I've decided if I ever sell, they are going with me. Only takes a couple minutes per switch to swap out.
Most folks simply are not techie at all. I mean look at some of the post's here from those that don't want to put in any effort on their part.
That's why Ring and Simply safe survive.

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's actually a really interesting point. I think about what I would do if I decided to sell our house with all the home
automation equipment I have installed and it is a similar situation with cameras. (BTW, I fully blame this website
for the proliferation of cameras around my house! :thumb: ) I have at least 25+ Z-wave light switches, two and three-way switches,
dimmers, receptacles, door locks, remotes, etc. installed, and that's just hardware. Then you have all the automation
for outdoor lighting, indoor lighting, security, hot water heater, camera integration, etc. As @looney2ns says about
the pool, some people might be completely turned off by all the camera and home automation equipment, yet for
others it might be a material buying factor. But there is no practical way to leave them my current system. Plus, a Z-wave
switch is orders of magnitude more expensive than a regular switch, to the degree that I would remove them and take
them with me. And others have pointed out, it is not practical to support any of this equipment after a home sale.

Speaking of support after the sale... It's been 30 years ago, but about 3 months after I sold a house, the new owner called
and demanded I have a new toilet valve installed. Try to imagine how hard I laughed.
Definitely remove all the cams prior to putting the house on the market. It's still a selling point that the house is prewired for security cams. After the house is listed and a realtor shows it anything like that is going to be part of the deal. We wanted to keep a light fixture in a house we sold a few years ago. The realtor said to get it out of the house before she listed it.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m kinda surprised a realtor would say to take down cams. What house nowadays doesn’t have camera mounted on it?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m kinda surprised a realtor would say to take down cams. What house nowadays doesn’t have camera mounted on it?
Basically if you have anything out of the ordinary (not limited to cameras), you should remove it prior to listing. Buyers are probably fine with a single camera mounted over the garage door and a doorbell camera..... But if you have more than 2 cameras, they probably need to come down. If you have any interior cameras, they need to be removed. If you have a a large PTZ camera, it DEFINITELY needs to come down, etc, etc, etc. I think we can all admit that these things can certainly scare off potential buyers. "Why does this house look like Fort Knox? "Is there that much crime here?" "Is this owner crazy?" "What else have they done to the house?", etc, etc, etc.

To put it simply, if a potential buyer ever says "WTF" while looking at your house, you have lost that potential sale. Having a dozen cameras around your property is probably a "WTF" to most people

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^^ sad, but true.

My similar experience after 31 years with street lighting was that it did little to prevent crime, contrary to what many people believed when lobbying for it at their house or neighborhood.

A perception by many when they see cameras is "I thought it was a 'nice' neighborhood'...it may be just that but seldom do thieves find anything of value where THEY live; they get in their car and travel to a 'nicer' neighbor to rob and pillage where there IS 'nice' stuff. :headbang:

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking at putting my house on the market in the next month and I'd like to swap out my cams for cheap cams to fill the holes since the system won't function anyways. Any idea what I should look for in cheap poe cams? I want them to actually somewhat work and not be a total scam. Most of them are 5442 fixed and a few ZE's. Any thoughts?
Hi @RUMBLESTRIP

Also remember to determine how much your time is worth, and how much you're able to sell the home for.

I would probably leave my cameras up if they are older ones for the new owner .. ( yeah the realtor .. well, honestly I not certain they can be trusted .. )

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^^ sad, but true.

My similar experience after 31 years with street lighting was that it did little to prevent crime, contrary to what many people believed when lobbying for it at their house or neighborhood.

A perception by many when they see cameras is "I thought it was a 'nice' neighborhood'...it may be just that but seldom do thieves find anything of value where THEY live; they get in their car and travel to a 'nicer' neighbor to rob and pillage where their IS 'nice' stuff. :headbang:
Yet, they don't have a clue as to what goes on after dark in "their safe neighborhood."
I didn't either at one time.

Reaction score
Apologies for hijacking the thread. Here is a strawman to help @RUMBLESTRIP:

Option #1: Leave current cameras.
Pros: Easiest.
Might be a selling factor? If so, then some of the following Cons: would need to be considered.
Cons: Might not be a selling factor - might be opposite as others have pointed out.
Leaving behind good cameras that might go unused or unappreciated by new buyer.
After purchase of replacement cameras for new home, may not be cheapest overall.
An expectation of some form of assistance or support if implied that cameras are working?

Option #2: Replace current cameras.
Pros: @RUMBLESTRIP retains good cameras.
Cons: Fair amount of work replacing cameras.
Even inexpensive cameras are going to cost something.
Mounts might not line up causing aesthetic issues, extra work.
Again, expectation of some form of assistance or support if implied that cameras are working?

Option #3: Remove cameras.
Pros: Least Expensive.
@RUMBLESTRIP retains good cameras.
"Camera ready" wiring still a selling point, but certainly not a detraction.
Cons: Still fair amount of work, but avoids the Cons of options #1 and #2.
House will be without cameras for some period of time:
1) Shorter period of time from listing - listing realtor will have to ensure that buyer understands that cameras will be removed and "not conveyed".
2) Or longer period of time with cameras removed prior to listing.

I've actually thought about these situations over the last 25 years because I've bought and sold six houses during that time period.
In one house I installed an extensive Lutron radio-based lighting system and I hated to leave it, but the buyer got contentious about it and I
gave up. That system required no supporting components, however, and it was a buyer's market and I had little leverage, so it was easier to give up.
In another house I installed an expensive and elaborate whole home audio/intercom system with in-ceiling and in-wall speakers and keypads.
In that case it was a seller's market and one of the buyers sweetened their offer by agreeing to an additional purchase of the audio system
components, so, I really did not have to make a decision in that instance. In my current house I would take all the Z-wave equipment and the cameras
I've purchased from Andy, but I would leave the doorbell and intercoms (VTO and VTH's) which can be a standalone system apart from Blue Iris.

Apologies for being so long-winded. I genuinely hope this far-ranging discussion will help or has helped you make a decision. :thumb: