Sensor size - confused

timb999

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah that one. I obviously do not know this seller or where he got it from, so probably worth checking it is a UK/Euro model, but looks like it from the box. Obviously you won't get a warranty with that tho.

The spotlight effect I am on about is this...

...at that exact time - the spotlight on the van. Unfortunately, I needed the camera zoomed at this sort of level a lot of the time, so it looked like I was putting animals in the spotlight all the time which is not really the effect I was going for! :) Zoomed further in was fine, and further out, but around mid level, the spot was a bit annoying thats all. (this clip is from a 7230, but appears to be indentical to 7225 apart from zoom level, and I remember this is the effect I was getting)

Other than that, I thought it was a really good camera, which also does 1080p @ 60fps I think (but not in 'low illumination' scene mode, which is the best mode for low level light)

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been messed around a bit, and getting sick of it. I may just take your advice Tim and go for that white one (7225). Don't suppose you can remember what sort of range it was able to put some IR on the 'target' area when zoomed? It would be nice if I could get SOME kind of visibility out at around 200 yards when zoomed in on wildlife and possible 2 legged wildlife is any turns up in the frame :D

PS I keep reading in spec sheets "3D Positioning" - any idea what that means, or what it does exactly?

Last edited:

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This came to mind when I saw the distance you need:
Don't know if it's something you can or want to use...it has a phenomenal range. Good luck!

timb999

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don’t have as much land as you have so hard for me to judge distance, but this might give a rough idea of what you might see at different distances with a 20x camera...

It depends on the zoom lens a bit I think, but they are all fairly similar, so 25x might give you a tiny bit more than this...obviously a 36x would be preferable, but more money and harder to find on eBay.

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Google is your friend...
Actually Google is my arch nemesis, but point taken :D (and after 3 reads of that image you posted, I am still actually confused!) I really struggle with anything written by non native english speakers! but I THINK i get the general idea!
Thanks

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great video Tim thanks! I thought I had seen just about every video on this camera but hadn't seen that one!
I bagged a new/boxed DS-2DE7225IW-AE for £235 plus postage. Pretty happy with that. I did want the 8223I with smart tracking, but I suspect that will be overkill and nothing to stop me selling this camera on if I look after it, thats what I love about not buying brand new from retail outlets, once it arrives, it's just lost 20-30% of its value so you can't change your mind unless you're a millionaire :D
If the IR performs anything like that video you linked, I will be very very happy!
I checked the specs between the 7225 and the newer 4225 and 4220 options. I noticed the specs look almost IDENTICAL, i compared every box on the Hik spec sheets. But then I saw the weight and power consumption, its 2-3 times heavier, bigger, and draws a hell of a lot more current. That bodes well for the IR output. Thanks for tipping me off to the 7225 Tim, I wouldn't have looked at it otherwise :)

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
beepsilver - Thanks, I have actually just ordered a kit very similar to that. That's my backup plan to Acusense! One day I would like to work out how to set something up which sends an SMS when motion detected. I know it's doable but I can't stand IoT stuff and it seemed to be done that way so I will give it a miss for now. Thanks again

timb999

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cool - hope you are happy with it, and that is a great price for a new/unused one - good luck with the 30ft up installation :) Certainly a bit easier with this compared to a 8xxx version, but as you say, this is still heavier and more bulky than a 4xxx so need to take care.

I would be interested to know if it does have smart/auto tracking once you get it. I would consider getting another in future for it's low light performance.

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will update you. I did ask the seller and he seemed to know a lot about Hikvision stuff. He said it definitely does not have auto tracking. It will be interesting to see how it works with Acusense. I wanted the 25x zoom minimum because I have a 100 yard rifle range (well, a shelter with bench and a target in front of a mound of earth!) and I was faced with paying a good few hundred quid for a spotting scope to see where the rounds are going when zeroing. now I hope to be able to use a tablet or laptop to control the PTZ and zoom in nice and close, can't wait to try it!! A nice screen next to the rifle rest showing the hits :D. Cheers Tim, now to get to grips with preventing access to the NVR via the internet but still accessible to me!
Oh and PS, I found another seller of Acusense NVRs at an even better price, a damn good price. Can send details if anyone is interested. cheers for now, will upload some footage when I am set up

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry, i have another quickie....

I am comparing 7716 with 7616 (NXi) - it seems the main differences are just two things:

1. 4 Sata connections instead of 2 (i don't need more than 2)
2. Alarm ins and outs. the 7616 has 4 in, 1 out, 7716 has 16 in, 4 out.

I am yet to learn what all this means, but don't have time to suss it all before I need to order my NVR (last one in stock). I am not sure what Alarm in means, but I think alarm out means a signal can be pushed to another device like a ringer/siren or various other things. I do have desires for a siren so I can scare the shit out of any thieving swines if I ever see them remotely when I am not home. I assume I only need one alarm output for that. But if I also wanted to (some time later) set up a phone dialler for instance, or maybe a flashing light to accompany the siren, would I need more than one "alarm output", or not?

Just trying to work out if its worth the extra spend for the 7716 or not. thanks for any tips

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am stuck between two cameras as I can't suss out which will be best in darkness. The goal posts move every time I open a spec sheet, with terminology changing! I wonder if someone can tell me which is the better low lighgt camera out of these two?

The second one has a bigger sensor, but is 4mp rather than 2, so I thought those might cancel each other out. More to the point, the first one (which is cheaper) claims it's suitable for "Ultra Low Light", the other doesn't. I assume thats just marketing BS, and I should ignore that? Grateful for any comments from you egg-spurts :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a guess, but I'd say the first one would out perform the second based on the sensor sizes versus resolution differences. The 2MP with the slightly smaller sensor will have a distinct advantage, IMHO. Just a guess and I'm not familiar with Hik at all.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am stuck between two cameras as I can't suss out which will be best in darkness.
To help with the sussing, check out the Min. Illumination spec <the color value, specifically>. While that spec is specifically for how much light the camera needs to stay in color mode (lower lux values are better), it's been a pretty accurate way to rank cameras in terms of how they do overall in low light IMO.

The spec sheets you linked to show this for min. illumination specs:
0.008 lux = the 4MP 1/2.5" model
0.005 lux = the 2MP 1/2.8" model

So based on those specs, the 2MP 1/2.8" would be most likely the best in low light.

The 2MP 1/2.8" image sensor started showing up in affordable Dahua/Hik models in late 2016/early 2017. Once folks here started getting those cameras and sharing how well they perform in low light, they quickly became the forum favorites /most recommended. IMO, it's definitely not marketing B.S. that cameras with this image sensor do so well at night ... they warrant their "ultra low-light" marketing tag.

There have been a couple of image sensors that have met or (beat) the 2MP 1/2.8" in terms of low-light performance, but they were almost always used in much more expensive camera models. The 4MP 1/1.8"sensor (which has a 0.002 lux min illumination rating) used to be one of those sensors. A few months back, Dahua started using that sensor in a bunch of affordable camera models (the '5442' Pro AI models). Since then, those models have been quickly becoming the most popular/recommended (at least on the Dahua sub-forum). I'm sure the same would be true for Hikvision, but for whatever reason Hik only seems to be using that sensor in one affordable model, which is the ColorVu.

The second one has a bigger sensor, but is 4mp rather than 2, so I thought those might cancel each other out.
I have no idea if everything's linear when it comes to sensors, but while bigger, the 4MP 1.2/5" sensor is only 12% bigger than the 2MP 1/2.8" sensor but has to handle 200% more pixels (4MP vs 2MP).

The 4MP 1/1.8" image sensor is from a different generation, so I'm guessing it's using other improvements other than just "it's bigger" to do as well as it does.

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score