Sensor sizes

RonL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is a lot of information concerning sensor size and focal length. However, I've run into another question. The ip cameras have the sensor size listed in thier data sheets, but out of curiosity and maybe keeping my existing coax, I checked the turbohd hikvison cameras.
Colorvu and standard with exir. They list thier sensors as 4mp cmos or 5 or 8 depending on the camera. How does that relate to 1 1/8 ,sized. Or 1 1/2..or similar sizes.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Provide the exact model number you are looking at and see if anyone knows or can find the sensor size.

But generally, the coax cameras are probably going to be smaller sensor as most of them are intended to be cheaper and with less ability to modify camera parameters, so they don't put larger sensors in them.

RonL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Provide the exact model number you are looking at and see if anyone knows or can find the sensor size.

But generally, the coax cameras are probably going to be smaller sensor as most of them are intended to be cheaper and with less ability to modify camera parameters, so they don't put larger sensors in them.
I would like to know the sensor size of the DS-2CE12HFT-F it says 5mp cmos, but what is the actual size ?
I would like to compare apples to apples (as best I can)
(All of the information I have been reading here, and your suggestions ) I'm in overload... but learning a lot, and don't want to just jump at the first thing.
I was originally wanting a colorvu, but now maybe a fixed camera with an exir , maybe even the varifocal. Like I said overload.
Thank you for all your help !

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, don't get caught up in marketing names, that is all EXIR is LOL. Except for the cheap IR cams that are a ring of infrared, most cameras utilize the fewer number of IR LEDs.

IP cams are considered better and no IP camera exists that is 5MP on an ideal sensor size, so I doubt these cameras would be any different.

General rule of thumb is if you cannot find the sensor size, it is a small sensor.

I know the decision can be tough when you have coax analog lines already. Either bite the bullet and run new lines or use the adaptors or a combination.

I was in the same boat as you and kept trying analog cams as that was my wiring and everytime it wasn't much better improvement. I now have boxes of analog cams just sitting around.

I bit the bullet and ran ethernet to many of the spots, but the ones that were pains the first time I have been using those adapters for years now with no issues.

RonL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, don't get caught up in marketing names, that is all EXIR is LOL. Except for the cheap IR cams that are a ring of infrared, most cameras utilize the fewer number of IR LEDs.

IP cams are considered better and no IP camera exists that is 5MP on an ideal sensor size, so I doubt these cameras would be any different.

General rule of thumb is if you cannot find the sensor size, it is a small sensor.

I know the decision can be tough when you have coax analog lines already. Either bite the bullet and run new lines or use the adaptors or a combination.

I was in the same boat as you and kept trying analog cams as that was my wiring and everytime it wasn't much better improvement. I now have boxes of analog cams just sitting around.

I bit the bullet and ran ethernet to many of the spots, but the ones that were pains the first time I have been using those adapters for years now with no issues.
I just wish the adapters were cheaper.. and smaller.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just wish the adapters were cheaper.. and smaller.
I agree with you there!

Watch @EMPIRETECANDY refurbished list as sometimes you can get a great deal on a return adapter.

RonL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I agree with you there!

Watch @EMPIRETECANDY refurbished list as sometimes you can get a great deal on a return adapter.

Well with 8 cameras, that's 16.. one for each end of the wire... uuuugh

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Like IP cameras, Analog cams also come in many flavors and some do have better sensors. The one top of the line Dahua 4MP HDCVI cam has a 1/1.8 sensor like the 5442 I believe I was told.
You'd be hard pressed to see a difference.

The bigger problem is no control over separate day/night exposure settings and profiles.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Like IP cameras, Analog cams also come in many flavors and some do have better sensors. The one top of the line Dahua 4MP HDCVI cam has a 1/1.8 sensor like the 5442 I believe I was told.
You'd be hard pressed to see a difference.

The bigger problem is no control over separate day/night exposure settings and profiles.
I think that problem is a big reason to bite the bullet.

In commercial and businesses where they have plenty of light, they can get by with the same settings day and night.

Most residential do not have that kind of light at night and separate profiles are needed to maximize the nighttime performance.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep, That’s what forced me to switch over completely. It was never about the image quality, hell they even implemented limited IVS with the XVR. But not being able to run a different shutter at night where I couldn’t put enough white light on the subject became a deal breaker

BTW IIRC Dahua used to show the sensor spec on analog cams but dropped it a few years ago during the supply chain crisis. I suspect they were mixing and matching whatever they could get their hands on.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a lot of information concerning sensor size and focal length. However, I've run into another question. The ip cameras have the sensor size listed in thier data sheets, but out of curiosity and maybe keeping my existing coax, I checked the turbohd hikvison cameras.
Colorvu and standard with exir. They list thier sensors as 4mp cmos or 5 or 8 depending on the camera. How does that relate to 1 1/8 ,sized. Or 1 1/2..or similar sizes.
You are conflating sensor size with resolution.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As I said, if a manufacturer, especially one like Hikvision, isn't listing their sensor size, then it is likely on a smaller less than ideal MP/sensor size ratio. They list it on most of the cameras. But even top line companies also make budget cams.

Probably 1/3" sensor. Great for 720P. Horrible for any higher MP at night.

RonL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
They are not proving the size just the resolution...there is no way to determine the size unless they tell you or you disassemble the camera.
I agree, I've emailed thier tech support. We will see if they respond.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep, dug up an old spec sheet from 2016 when i had my CVI 3231's which at the time rivaled anything IP in image quality.
They were using the 1/2.8" sensor back then..... STILL using it in many higher end 4MP IP cams... (its great in 2MP but not sufficient for 4MP IMHO)

Attachments