Separate IOT and "normal" networks?

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Reading this post
To Port Forward or Not To Port Forward?

And then googling on three dumb routers has got me thinking about creating separate networks for my IOT/Home Automation type devices from the rest of my home network.

I actually have a couple of Asus routers sitting around that I could put into service for this, so cost is "just" time. And I've always thought I really should try to separate the two, but never seriously considered it before.

When I was migrating to a new router, I kept the old one for a while, and had two networks. The problem with two networks is if you were on the "wrong" network and wanted to talk to something, you had to log off of that one and then log into other one. And I would always forget, and wonder why it wasn't working lol. To me, this is the main reason not to do this.

I'm wondering if I could solve this by creating static routes? I would put a few devices on static ip's, then make static routes in my router(s) so those devices could access my iot server (a pi running domoticz). I'm probably going to leave my BI PC and cameras on the normal network, they are vlan'ed already. Although if this works maybe they should be on yet another network lol.

Does this make sense? Is it doable? Hoping the network guru types will chime in.

Randy

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Reading this post
To Port Forward or Not To Port Forward?

And then googling on three dumb routers has got me thinking about creating separate networks for my IOT/Home Automation type devices from the rest of my home network.

I actually have a couple of Asus routers sitting around that I could put into service for this, so cost is "just" time. And I've always thought I really should try to separate the two, but never seriously considered it before.

When I was migrating to a new router, I kept the old one for a while, and had two networks. The problem with two networks is if you were on the "wrong" network and wanted to talk to something, you had to log off of that one and then log into other one. And I would always forget, and wonder why it wasn't working lol. To me, this is the main reason not to do this.

I'm wondering if I could solve this by creating static routes? I would put a few devices on static ip's, then make static routes in my router(s) so those devices could access my iot server (a pi running domoticz). I'm probably going to leave my BI PC and cameras on the normal network, they are vlan'ed already. Although if this works maybe they should be on yet another network lol.

Does this make sense? Is it doable? Hoping the network guru types will chime in.

Randy
If you are already on a vlan whats the point?

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you are already on a vlan whats the point?
My cams are all on vlans, so I guess there is no point to isolate them.
But I'm still thinking about doing this for my IOT devices, but not sure if I need to.
Right now, all of my IOT are homemade, a Pi and some ESPs, would be hard to attack them I think.

But eventually, I'm sure I'll be getting more "smart" home appliances with wifi.

Randy