Separate switches or same switch for IP cams and home network?

Reaction score
I'm planning on building out my home network soon by adding Cat6 cables to every room, plus running cables to ~8 locations around the house for IP cams. Something that seems like it would solve this is e.g. a 48-port POE gigabit switch (e.g.this Netgear). Is this frowned upon for any reason or do many people do this? The switch performs the same task in general and I don't need 48 POE switches since I only intend to have 8 cams (maybe more in the future but certainly no more than 16).

Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm planning on building out my home network soon by adding Cat6 cables to every room, plus running cables to ~8 locations around the house for IP cams. Something that seems like it would solve this is e.g. a 48-port POE gigabit switch (e.g.this Netgear). Is this frowned upon for any reason or do many people do this? The switch performs the same task in general and I don't need 48 POE switches since I only intend to have 8 cams (maybe more in the future but certainly no more than 16).

Do you guys have any thoughts on this?
Dont do it...that switch will be loud as hell...also you are paying for all those poe ports you wont use..

Reaction score
That particular switch only has 8 POE ports not all 48 though. Would it be louder than two separate switches instead?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That particular switch only has 8 POE ports not all 48 though. Would it be louder than two separate switches instead?
the link brings me to
NETGEAR ProSAFE GS752TP 48 Port Gigabit PoE Smart Managed Switch with 4 SFP GbE Fiber Ports and 8 PoE+ Ports 384w (GS752TP-100NAS)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score