Separating Cameras using Blue Iris for my neighbor

PuroOro

n3wb
Reaction score
I live in a condo and have just installed 2 Foscam 9821 cameras in my hallway. I have 2 additional cameras in my apartment. They are all working using Blue Iris.
I would like to share the 2 hallway cameras with my neighbor.
What is the best way to do this and him not be able to see my other cameras?
Thanks,
Bill

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can setup a second user. Put the cameras that you want to give him access to in a group. Then under the user tab only give the user access to the group you want him to see. Disable administrative privileges. You can choose whether to give him access to ptz..or even the times of day he would have access...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, another user in Blue Iris is the key here.

The easiest way would be to have your neighbor access your Blue Iris through the internet.

But if your neighbor is within WiFi range you have another possibly better option to get him connected. You could set up a high gain directional WiFi adapter (ideally USB connected) on your Blue Iris PC and connect it to your neighbor's WiFi. Assign this network adapter a static IP address with blank gateway and DNS information and then your BI server will be accessible to your neighbor. It might require that you have your LANs on separate subnets though. I'm not sure about that.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But if your neighbor is within WiFi range you have another possibly better option to get him connected. You could set up a high gain directional WiFi adapter (ideally USB connected) on your Blue Iris PC and connect it to your neighbor's WiFi. Assign this network adapter a static IP address with blank gateway and DNS information and then your BI server will be accessible to your neighbor. It might require that you have your LANs on separate subnets though. I'm not sure about that.
This, and yeah you'd need to be on seperate subnets and just adding a second network interface for accessing his LAN.. your neighbor would not impact your internet at all.. if you can run a wire between you two that would be even better because wifi in apartments is hardly reliable.. Enable Windows firewall on this interface and block everything but cam viewing.

usb: http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-WifiStation-High-Power-Adapter/dp/B00720XE6I
poe: http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-PicoStation-2-4GHz-802-11g-Access/dp/B0055PKSG6 (connect as a client in bridge mode going to a 2nd NIC, if you need to put the WiFi bridge far away from your NVR)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.