Serious cctv on a work truck

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So, I'm not happy with what I've found online for vehicle cctv systems....
So why not install a residential cctv system in the truck? I don't know, maybe it's ridiculous, maybe it's possible.

This is for a work truck and I'm just throwing ideas around and want to see what yall think.

I thought maybe just like a house and have them cross. Or, 3 stacked. One front one back and one straight out.

I'd be looking for the smallest possible cams and have several deep cycle batteries for this with a kusmal charging system.

Attachments

Reaction score
I am liking the idea maybe dome cameras with IP67 Rating and a low power consumption NVR/XVR and a UPS System. Wireless camera can work as well and battery operated/solar powered Camera. One concern is probably with the scenery always changing, camera performance and quality might deteriorate as it is not a still placement and might give unusable recordings.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For what purpose?
Just as car cam type replacement?

i drove behind a truck yesterday that had a camera on the back that looked like this one (but could have been a different model)

Presumably they're using it as a reversing camera or just as a car cam in general.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

Our Buses that I drive have Exterior cameras on all 4 corners and a back up cam.
The forward Adaptive cruise/ collision mitigation LDW camera...Is called " wingman' on the dash...if it gets blinded by the setting Sun...it flashes an alert. " Wingman Blind...yada yada yada....
MCI j 4500 buses. I was trying to google a good image for ya....but not seeing anything great as an example...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, I'm not happy with what I've found online for vehicle cctv systems....
So why not install a residential cctv system in the truck? I don't know, maybe it's ridiculous, maybe it's possible.

This is for a work truck and I'm just throwing ideas around and want to see what yall think.

I thought maybe just like a house and have them cross. Or, 3 stacked. One front one back and one straight out.

I'd be looking for the smallest possible cams and have several deep cycle batteries for this with a kusmal charging system.
For use when driving, backing up, etc. or for surveillance use like when parked (to be recorded)?

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
More for driving, dash cam on steroids. But I won't be actively viewing them. I'll install a back up camera as needed. This is just an elite version of dash cam basically. It's a small investment worth protecting my vehicle and business against a false fraud insurance incident where I'm not at fault.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
More for driving, dash cam on steroids. But I won't be actively viewing them. I'll install a back up camera as needed. This is just an elite version of dash cam basically. It's a small investment worth protecting my vehicle and business against a false fraud insurance incident where I'm not at fault.
Dahua makes mobile recorders and cameras just for this purpose both IP and HDCVI...I dont have any experience using them..
There is an option for records and cameras under these links...In theory the HDcvi should have much lower latency if you every wanted to use it to live monitor while you are driving...

Analog

IP

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure cameras made specifically for mobile purposes do not have a mechanical IR cut filter. Using standard type cameras may result in early failure of that part due to vibration.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The MCI coaches have 3 interior cameras as well. They appear to be like Mini-Turrets. like 1/2 or 1/3rd the size of a typical 5442 Turret....they get jostled around....all day...I see they they have a ring of what appear to be IR lights around the lens.
I'd really like to know who provides them to the Bus and/or School Bus Industry......

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm out on the dahua, used 500 and new more than that.
This will end up being a cheap system that works when driving. Which, ultimately is the goal so I guess it's good enough. I'd love parking protection but I don't know what the cameras would pull from the batteries solely.

This system here looks promising. A mobile dvr with a real hdd inside it....

Attachments