Serious Question: Why do most users use Google Chrome as their Default Internet Browser?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Why? :eek:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Way way back when.....inlike 2003-4, the Google search results were more in line with the search requested, whereas the same search term in other browsers ....would show you links that would throw me off the trail of what I was after, so i would "view" click bait, and some fucking ad server would collect revenue, for a hit, even though it wasnt what the fuck i was looking for.
Times have changed.
now Edge and Chrome
tend to need keen eyes to filter the bullshit search results....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When Chrome first came out, it was bare bones compared to Explorer and thus searches were WAY faster than Explorer, so that is why most probably just stayed with it. At least that was the reason why I switched.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I switched to Chrome when it was relatively brand new for a lot of reasons:

1. It was fast.
2. It was more stable than other browsers because it ran in multiple processes. One web page could crash without taking down the whole browser.
3. Revolutionary ability to drag tabs out of the window where they were created.
4. Address bar combined with search bar was really nice.
5. It was updated often, adding improvements and features.

Now pretty much every browser has all these features, in most cases because they are built on the same roots as Chrome. The only major browser that is completely separate is Firefox.

Anyway that wasn't always the case. These features made Chrome pretty much the best browser there was for quite a long time. So a lot of people gradually switched to it and stick with it to this day because they haven't had major problems with it.

Also, Chrome started coming pre-installed on Android phones. Or kids get a laptop for school and it has Chrome OS on it. These have good integration with the desktop Chrome, for things like shared bookmarks and history. It becomes more trouble for anyone to switch to a different browser when they have to do it on all their devices, set up new accounts, transfer their bookmarks, passwords, etc.

Also, the anti-Google politics are a relatively new thing that I don't give a crap about. So I keep using Chrome.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Except most were still using Blackberry's and Google/Android wasn't really a thing. In fact, Chrome came out before Android 1.0.

I certainly had no use of anything google when I switched to Chrome. I was still on AOL email :lmao:

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Google is on my list of evil entities along with amazon and a few others, so I avoid doing anything to support them as much as possible. As such, I won't use chrome. My main browser is Brave. Some sites don't work on Brave and I use Firefox as the primary backup. Infrequently, I have to use IE11 or Pale Moon to get a specific site to work.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All ^^^ browsers use Chromium (Chrome, Edge Opera, Brave & more) as their code base, Firefox is the exception.
They add their bows & ribbons on top of Chromium to cater to their needs.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW - I end up using multiple browsers .. some configured differently depending on the website / websites I go to.

( like to see less ads on youtube for example, so have disable that .. )

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When Chrome first came out, it was bare bones compared to Explorer and thus searches were WAY faster than Explorer, so that is why most probably just stayed with it. At least that was the reason why I switched.
THIS. I was a FFX user all through college and once Chrome came out, it was blazing fast. Especially in those days, FFX was getting bloated, and Chrome made better use of Windows Processes.

Just recently I went back to FFX and it really has made strides. It still feels a little open-sourcey (which is is) but I really like it, again.