Server kWh usage

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
guys - I'm in the northeast where I'm paying one of the highest rates for power. The actual electricity & supply costs comes to 40c/kWh. I've not bought a system yet but looking for a recommendation for a basic i7 system (following this thread - Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk)

I'll have 8 cameras and will be buying 1080p cameras to future proof but may only run at 720k/30fps if that helps me save ssd space and thus power. i'm guessing on-board graphics will suffice since I won't be connecting a hdmi capable and simply stream over the network. Does someone have a site or ebay where they sell used systems and if you've invested in one, can you provide me approximate kWh specs over a year? The Hikvision DVR is going to only cost me $70 in annual power costs and I'm ok if blue iris comes in at under $200/year given it has far greater capabilities

Thanks

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I, too, am in the Northeast, the Great Nanny State, Peoples Republic of New Jersey, where electricity costs are ludicrous.

First thing, read the Cliff Notes in the Wiki at the top of the page.

Second thing, don't use an SSD drive for video storage. SSD drives have a finite life based on writes and video is written constantly. Use a WD purple or the Seagate equivalent for video storage.

Third thing, 30fps is just not needed, you're not producing a Hollywood epic, just providing a security resource. 10fps is more than enough. If that's too "choppy" for you try 15fps, but that is more or less max you'll ever need.

Onboard graphics, if you're on an Intel platform, can take advantage of Quicksync and reduce processor load.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
guys - I'm in the northeast where I'm paying one of the highest rates for power. The actual electricity & supply costs comes to 40c/kWh. I've not bought a system yet but looking for a recommendation for a basic i7 system (following this thread - Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk)

I'll have 8 cameras and will be buying 1080p cameras to future proof but may only run at 720k/30fps if that helps me save ssd space and thus power. i'm guessing on-board graphics will suffice since I won't be connecting a hdmi capable and simply stream over the network. Does someone have a site or ebay where they sell used systems and if you've invested in one, can you provide me approximate kWh specs over a year? The Hikvision DVR is going to only cost me $70 in annual power costs and I'm ok if blue iris comes in at under $200/year given it has far greater capabilities

Thanks
you load is VERY light. buy an hp elitedesk tower or small form factor (NOT USDT - no room for 3.5 drive) with an 80+ power supply - confirm the power supply. With your load you dont need anywhere near an i7 (which itself is a generic meaningless term). Its not that on board graphics will suffice, its BETTER. You need intel hd with quicksync.
Look for an i5 THIRD or FOURTH GEN for about 100-150.
Your power draw will be about 25w or less under your load. PC NVR Power Consumption Sample