Setting Advice

BCMguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

We recently installed some new exterior lights and they've more or less destroyed my driveway camera's night vision ability. One is an older Dahua 8MP 5830 RZ (I know, not the choice for night to begin with) and the other is a 2MP Starlight 4231.
I have 2 screen shots from the 8mp, different varifocal settings. One shot from the 2mp.

Any ideas on settings to potentially help clean up the night performance? I appreciate the guidance! I know there is probably not much I can do, but it's worth asking

Thank you

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

We recently installed some new exterior lights and they've more or less destroyed my driveway camera's night vision ability. One is an older Dahua 8MP 5830 RZ (I know, not the choice for night to begin with) and the other is a 2MP Starlight 4231.
I have 2 screen shots from the 8mp, different varifocal settings. One shot from the 2mp.

Any ideas on settings to potentially help clean up the night performance? I appreciate the guidance! I know there is probably not much I can do, but it's worth asking

Thank you
Hi @BCMguy

imho it is clearly an issue with the dome .. ( hint: this is why we do not recommend dome cameras in general outdoors )

1) If you can afford it, I would replace them with better larger sensor model turret cameras, and redeploy those 2 dome cameras to areas where they can perform well enough.
( under a porch roof is a good location.. )

2) If you are on a tight budget .. clean the domes .. check the foam / rubber seal around the lens.

Another option is to just add one better camera or 2 to your setup and also clean the domes, perhaps find a way to block the light from hitting the dome .. ( adding a bit of foil on the light fixture in the right place may stop the light from hitting the camera - as you have a number of lights you would have to play around to see if this is possible .. with only 1 light is it possible to do .. )

1659813376161.png

update: OP reports he has Turret models ..

so .. then perhaps this model ?

1659822732901.png

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1659831969588.png

I'd try a test, and get a piece of construction paper and painters tape and make a blinder on the side of the camera to see if you can keep the light from hitting the lens ..

camera-blinder.png

sort of thinking attempting something like a horse's blinder to keep the light from coming in from the side ..

1659832446825.png

Reaction score
Maybe try to turn the cams just a bit away from the lights.

Below is my driveway set up. The carriage lights on the posts either side of my cams have two 1000 Lumen bulbs in each that are 5000K. So they are quite bright. I do not see any glare from them like you do.
Below you can see the two cams on either side of the driveway. They are white turrets soffit mounted pointing across the driveway. Carriage lights can be seen on either side of them.
Screenshot 2020-10-21 205837.JPG

This is what the driveway looks like tonight taken from the street with an iPhone. They are very bright lights. Normally the BMW is in the garage, but the Jeep stays in that spot. So I have the cams positioned to get the best shots of the Jeep.
IMG_4174.JPG

This is a screen capture from BI of my driveway views. These three are on sub-stream in this view.
Driveway 2022-08-07 09.20.10.430 PM.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's hard to say from here but I would think the biggest issue with the OP's light fixtures is the top where half of the light is emitted.

Rotating the cams a tad as suggested by @samplenhold may help plus maybe a combo of that and a visor/blinder on the cam as suggested by @mat200 will do the trick. I can understand you trying to avoid affixing anything to the top of the fixture or replacing the fixture.