Setting up a new hdw523ir - update FW ?

hotwheels498

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So i have been reading many threads and the cliff notes for about a month now and finally made a purchase. I ordered a HDW523IR from Andy and plan to get it mounted this weekend. I have a question that i cant seem to find a answer on. Do i need to update a FW before i start using it?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
So i have been reading many threads and the cliff notes for about a month now and finally made a purchase. I ordered a HDW523IR from Andy and plan to get it mounted this weekend. I have a question that i cant seem to find a answer on. Do i need to update a FW before i start using it?
My latest arrivals from @EMPIRETECANDY were carrying the latest updates, if not, it is not that difficult to apply them yourself.

Hope this helps!
CC

Reaction score
I would not update firmware before first using the camera. It is likely as has been said, it already has the latest firmware. Also, the old rule of 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' applies for a good reason. I've never understood the craze of always installing the latest firmware, on a new product without testing it in actual use first. It can always be updated later. It's more important to dial-in the camera in the environment, then backing up those optimal settings. JMO.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I would not update firmware before first using the camera. It is likely as has been said, it already has the latest firmware. Also, the old rule of 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' applies for a good reason. I've never understood the craze of always installing the latest firmware, on a new product without testing it in actual use first. It can always be updated later. It's more important to dial-in the camera in the environment, then backing up those optimal settings. JMO.
I fully understand your reasoning, however, from an enterprise maintenance point of view, you can run into split-version firmware issues, where version D can only be applied on version C so you can't jump from B to D. Then you are forced to apply each and every firmware, and in the end, you have taken the same risks.
I'm not applying the latest and greatest, however I had to apply them to have new features. Missing out on capabilities is not something you want to pay for ;-)