Setting up a wifi camera on a network without access to the router

Cam_MJT

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I searched the forums but could not find an answer to my questions:

I have a small sailing boat on a Greek island and would like to keep an eye on it using a wifi camera. There is a little taverna nearby who kindly provide the network password to their customers of who I am a regular. My idea is to use this network with a little wifi webcam attached to the mast so I can occassionally check on my boat. Even stills/pics are fine. I am very new to this but after reading up I realised that the camera has to be attached to the router of the specific network at least in the beginning for setup. Is this always compulsory or are there ways around this? I would obviously like to avoid it as it would be awkward to ask them for access to their router. Is there any way to finish the setup via an Android phone only or will the router firewall block my video? Alternatively, could you think of a solution where still pictures are emailed to me regularly or does this not solve the problem?

Any reply is very much appreciated. The boat is in a dangerous spot and has been damaged by choppy sea before. It would help me sleep so much better if I could remotely check up on it.

Many thanks in advance!
Best.

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
some cameras support cloud based setup which avoids having to open ports. basic ip tools should allow you to pull the network ip scheme if you can logon with wifi. you dont need access to the router.

bmwproboi05

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What kind of cam do you have? I've notice a lot of camera with we codes set up p2p connection avoiding the port forwarding. I'm not sure if this is the most secure thing, but definitely change default password. The camera would just need to have some kind of internet connection