Setting up and preparing NVR and cams before job..

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It was recommended to me to set up and pair all of the cameras before getting to the install location. My question is, what steps will I have to take to be sure that the setup still works on another network that may be on a different sub net etc?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow, that's an overly-general question.
My first thought: Are you even really ready to handle an "Install Location"?
My second thought: Your general question shows you didn't put much detail (or thought?) into it before lobbing it out to us. Therefore, I think most knowledgeable people won't invest more time than you spent (in typing in that question)

Do some research on your own nickel, then ask specific questions on the forum.
Check these:
Installation and test equipment
What tools do you bring to your installation site?

Fastb

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I will cut him some slack, I always set up my cams to the NVR beforehand and burn them in. When i go to the site at least i know everything works before I get there. BTW, before I go to the site, I would have already have visited that site most likely a few times and prepared a plan on networking, tcpip scheme and the goals of the end user, cam locations ..it goes on and on. I usually use NVR's with built in POE to keep the routing off existing equipment. In house IT people do NOT like the camera guy encroaching on their networks so I usually try to keep it as private as possible(as far as the networking goes). Their is NO way you can predict a outcome if you are adding IP cameras to a existing network BUT if you do your homework ahead of time about what already in place, you can get a general feel of the outcome ...in other words..it looked good on paper.

Burning.jpg

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wow, that's an overly-general question.
My first thought: Are you even really ready to handle an "Install Location"?
My second thought: Your general question shows you didn't put much detail (or thought?) into it before lobbing it out to us. Therefore, I think most knowledgeable people won't invest more time than you spent (in typing in that question)

Do some research on your own nickel, then ask specific questions on the forum.
If I was really ready to handle an "install Location" I wouldn't be researching these forums. But how does one become ready without asking questions? I agree my question was a bit general and may have come off as lazy, for that I do apologize as I am by no means a lazy person and never expect anyone to do my work for me.

I should have stated that my question was geared toward the built in POE NVRs as I am not familiar with the limits as they use a separate sub net and some of the information in these forums was a bit confusing while reading around. I wasn't sure if because they are setup up on there own separate subnet independent of the users network, if that meant that you could set it up off site without any issues when connected onsite. Maybe to you this is still a dumb question but I learned a long time ago that the only dumb questions are the ones that are left unasked.

I will cut him some slack, I always set up my cams to the NVR beforehand and burn them in. When i go to the site at least i know everything works before I get there. BTW, before I go to the site, I would have already have visited that site most likely a few times and prepared a plan on networking, tcpip scheme and the goals of the end user, cam locations ..it goes on and on. I usually use NVR's with built in POE to keep the routing off existing equipment. In house IT people do NOT like the camera guy encroaching on their networks so I usually try to keep it as private as possible(as far as the networking goes). Their is NO way you can predict a outcome if you are adding IP cameras to a existing network BUT if you do your homework ahead of time about what already in place, you can get a general feel of the outcome ...in other words..it looked good on paper.
Thank you very much for stepping in to share your tips and procedure c hris527

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Set it all up on your workbench at home. No need to connect it to a network at this point.
Spend time getting used to the all the settings.

Then when you get to the install location, all you should need to do is set the IP address of the NVR (not the cams) to the same range as the local network at the install site.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Curious, is there any particular reason not to use the DHCP option for the NVR Ethernet port?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
When you disconnect the cam from the Poe subset, a static IP makes it easy to surf in to configure it. If your non-cam subnet uses dhcp, an IP will be assigned to the cam. Then you'll need to find that IP to connect to the cam to configure it. Not impossible, but depending on your expertise level, could be tricky.
I don't have a Poe nvr, so others may pipe up.
Fastb

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Curious, is there any particular reason not to use the DHCP option for the NVR Ethernet port?
I will be making the assumption we are talking about a POE NVR here.
The NVR Ethernet port is your management port on your NVR, usually says (LAN) you will NOT be plugging in a camera to it, that will connect to your LAN so you can access the NVR through a PC or Laptop. It is always good practice to set this to static so you know its IP address. The other 8 or 16 POE ports will power your cams and assign them a IP address. Once you plug in your cameras and let the NVR assign them a IP address, you will have the option to set them to static if you wish. I usually do not and let the DHCP server take care of that, but that is up to you, it works well either way. By default Dahua dhcp will usually be 10.1.1.X subnet.
If for some reason you need to access your cam directly, you can always plug your laptop into one of the poe ports and if your laptop or PC is set up for DHCP the NVR will give it a ip address. You will be able to see your camera's ip address through the NVR, so you can hook up your laptop into your POE port and type its address and gain access to all of the features if needed. To make this clear, your laptop's IP address MUST be set to the same subnet as your cameras either manually or through DHCP.

Last edited:

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks guys for that additional information.

So I got around to looking through the NVR settings today and noticed there are 3 accounts. One being the account I setup during the first boot, the others if I remember correctly being "default" and "888888". Neither of which allow you to directly change the passwords. I remember reading this somewhere so it wasn't much of a surprise but is there a way around this as it does not seem very secure. If not, are these accounts limited to local use only or could someone use these accounts remotely once a dns was setup and ports forwarded?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks guys for that additional information.

So I got around to looking through the NVR settings today and noticed there are 3 accounts. One being the account I setup during the first boot, the others if I remember correctly being "default" and "888888". Neither of which allow you to directly change the passwords. I remember reading this somewhere so it wasn't much of a surprise but is there a way around this as it does not seem very secure. If not, are these accounts limited to local use only or could someone use these accounts remotely once a dns was setup and ports forwarded?
The 888888 account is a local account that you cannot access remotely.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok good to know. How do you prevent someone with access to google and a keyboard that has the following keys "dahua NVR default user 888888" from figuring out the password? lol Is there anyway to change it to prevent a local unauthorized user from getting in?

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Then when you get to the install location, all you should need to do is set the IP address of the NVR (not the cams) to the same range as the local network at the install site.
Adding to this, a common go-to is to set up a route to bounce in between subnets as well. This will allow a surveillance network of 192.x.x.x/24 to speak to a main network of 172.x.x.x/24.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok good to know. How do you prevent someone with access to google and a keyboard that has the following keys "dahua NVR default user 888888" from figuring out the password? lol Is there anyway to change it to prevent a local unauthorized user from getting in?
AFAIK NO I love the Dahua stuff but you have to take the good with the bad and the 888888 is bad. if you have a environment where you are worried about people illegally probing your nvr then you need to plan to keep it locked up, My Racks are under lock and key.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Adding to this, a common go-to is to set up a route to bounce in between subnets as well. This will allow a surveillance network of 192.x.x.x/24 to speak to a main network of 172.x.x.x/24.
Can you explain this a bit as I may be interested in doing this so I can have full access to the cameras features through team viewer via a connection from a windows pc at the installed location if something gets fuxed.