Setting up Hikvision camera

Doug Gloff

n3wb
Reaction score
So I am new to the Hikivision cameras been using the Airsight cameras for a long time but wanted something a little better as far as picture quality goes. I have the Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-IW I plan on running it via a CAT6 POE. I have a Wifi Texas 10/100 24v/ 60w POE Switch (http://find-a-poe.com/product/8-Port-Passive-PoE-Switch/). How do i get this setup to run off the POE? Do i need and adapter? The instructions a very lacking for this camera.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I am new to the Hikivision cameras been using the Airsight cameras for a long time but wanted something a little better as far as picture quality goes. I have the Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-IW I plan on running it via a CAT6 POE. I have a Wifi Texas 10/100 24v/ 60w POE Switch (http://find-a-poe.com/product/8-Port-Passive-PoE-Switch/). How do i get this setup to run off the POE? Do i need and adapter? The instructions a very lacking for this camera.

Thanks
Welcome to the forum. You dont need any other adapter. Just go from the switch to the ethernet port on the camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay I did this and the camera wont power on when i plug it in.
How long is your cable run? is the cable home made?
Also, you noted the 24v model, is that what you have? or the 48v?

Doug Gloff

n3wb
Reaction score
I am just testing it now so the cable is maybe 6 feet long. I have the 24v model

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Doug Gloff

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the best way to set up this camera to record to a NAS drive? I got it plugged in now with just a 12v adapter and network cable.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the best way to set up this camera to record to a NAS drive?
Plenty of posts on that topic.
Decide on NFS or SMB/CIFS as the file sharing protocol.
Create a user/password for the camera to use (SMB/CIFS).
Add the NAS IP address and sharename and user details to the camera storage menu, use the Test button.
Does your NAS have the ability to set the size of the shared volume, or enforce user quotas (SMB/CIFS)?
In the camera storage menu, initiallise the share and see what happens.
Then set the recording conditions you are looking for.

Doug Gloff

n3wb
Reaction score
Plenty of posts on that topic.
Decide on NFS or SMB/CIFS as the file sharing protocol.
Create a user/password for the camera to use (SMB/CIFS).
Add the NAS IP address and sharename and user details to the camera storage menu, use the Test button.
Does your NAS have the ability to set the size of the shared volume, or enforce user quotas (SMB/CIFS)?
In the camera storage menu, initiallise the share and see what happens.
Then set the recording conditions you are looking for.
Ok, Is there a thread with a step by step instructions? I am using the Linkstation NAS 210

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't believe there is a step by step guide on this forum - just lots of fairly short threads on the topic.
There are so many different NAS solutions you'd be lucky to find a full guide that's specific to yours.
Try it out and see how you get on, and I'm sure the community here will be glad to help out.

Doug Gloff

n3wb
Reaction score
I found this (http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=1729) little tutorial and followed along, I was able to get it setup to record but really not sure where the recordings are saving because they don't show up in the folder on my NAS drive. I setup the folder in the camera setting and tested it and it says it succeeded, so it knows the folder is there and can access it. Also when i did the format via the camera settings it created all the files (datadir0-23) and each has all these files in it that are empty in the NAS folder.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I was able to get it setup to record but really not sure where the recordings are saving because they don't show up in the folder on my NAS drive.
Also when i did the format via the camera settings it created all the files (datadir0-23) and each has all these files in it that are empty in the NAS folder.
If it really is recording to the NAS, that is where the recordings are saved, somewhere in that large number of placeholder files.
But - you should be able to see a timeline view of recordings via the 'Playback' pages of the camera itself, and play the recorded video from the camera.

Doug Gloff

n3wb
Reaction score
yea Just need to dig through them to find where they are- I did you the playback on the camera itself, but just thinking if i am not near a computer it would be nice to play it back by just getting the file.

Doug Gloff

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay one last Question How do i get it so i can view multiple cameras from outside my home network? I am using IP cam viewer on my phone but can only see on Hikvision camera and not the other.

Settings are on the camera are:
HTTP port: 81
RTSP ports: 554
HTTPS port: 443
Server Port: 8001

Also forward all those ports as well. I can see the camera on my phone when connected to my local networks but not when i turn off the wifi and try using the 4G

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay one last Question How do i get it so i can view multiple cameras from outside my home network? I am using IP cam viewer on my phone but can only see on Hikvision camera and not the other.

Settings are on the camera are:
HTTP port: 81
RTSP ports: 554
HTTPS port: 443
Server Port: 8001

Also forward all those ports as well. I can see the camera on my phone when connected to my local networks but not when i turn off the wifi and try using the 4G
It is more secure to use ivms4500 because you will only have to forward the media port.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure what ivms4500 is and I really like to the IP Camera viewer app
its hikvisions free app. Since your camera has an SD card you can review video directly with ivms4500, ipcamviewer will only allow live video.

Doug Gloff

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the camera uploading to a NAS drive so wont need the sd cards- Also I bought the IP cam viewer pro awhile ago and have it on my wife's phone as well so i would like to stick to that app. Plus i have other brand of cameras using that app as well.