Setting up my system. 4mm 2032 Hik's etc.

ServiceXp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am struggling getting the best possible recordings for both Day and Night while balancing that with system resources. Is there a guide (the camera help is not very helpful :rolleyes:) somewhere to help walk me through the process. There are so many choices with these camera's and in BI, seems like one setting screws up another and visa-versa.

Heeeeeeelp.. :redface-new:

System:
1) Will end up with 6 camera's (4 outside and 2 inside)
2) BI 4.0 x64 d2d 20 meg buffers
3) 3 Hicks ((2) 4mm 2032 and (1) LaView Panda LV-PC902F2-W) and 2 Dahua's ((1) IPC-HFW2300R-Z and (1) EYEsurv 3.6mm ESIP-MP3-BT1)(On Order)
4) i5 2.9ghz -- 12 GB Ram -- Windows 8.1 Pro x64
5) ZyXEL ES100-8HP-240W POE (All Camera's will be connected to this switch) which is connected to a Gigabit backbone.
6) 75mbit, bidirectional fiber WAN connection.

Last edited by a moderator:

ServiceXp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any initial advice for achieving good quality while balancing system resources?

Reaction score
When I first started out, I maxed out the best settings in each category on the IP camera itself, then went back to Blue Iris and checked the CPU load and dialed it down until I got a decent compromise. At the time when I did that, there was only 1 camera installed, so I didn't have to worry about choking my old PC down to a point where it's completely unresponsive. All of the network cables & systems in our house are gigabit compatible, so network bandwidth is not an issue for me. I'm currently recording at 20fps @ 1920x1080, but may go 30fps once I transition everything over to the new server PC I'm currently building out.

ServiceXp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My problem is that I'm not sure how to approach it. I simply don't know enough to understand how to get the best picture with the least amount of resources. There's a million settings in these IP camera's,... some for day, other for night, bit-rate, resolution (what do I really need 1080p, 720 3M and how to choose), how to prevent missing footage on trigger (happen to me today, the CAM caught the UPS guy halfway down my sidewalk leaving my house, but the CAM normally picks up on approach..), video visual settings, and then there's all the BI settings on top of those. This list goes on for "miles".

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My problem is that I'm not sure how to approach it. I simply don't know enough to understand how to get the best picture with the least amount of resources. There's a million settings in these IP camera's,... some for day, other for night, bit-rate, resolution (what do I really need 1080p, 720 3M and how to choose), how to prevent missing footage on trigger (happen to me today, the CAM caught the UPS guy halfway down my sidewalk leaving my house, but the CAM normally picks up on approach..), video visual settings, and then there's all the BI settings on top of those. This list goes on for "miles".
You really need to play with the settings yourself...with respect to missing the ups guy...check the motion tab, if the object detect reject box is checked, uncheck it..its the cause of 99 percent of these problems.