Setting up PTZ and choosing Spotter cams...

Reaction score
can't u clone the x and make its motion detection more super sensitive

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
can't u clone the x and make its motion detection more super sensitive
I probably could, but would rather alerts on people only and with that tree there I would probably get a lot of false triggers.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I am leaning towards an IPC-T3241T-ZAS off of the corner above the trash cans unless something else comes available. Worst case I already have a spot in mind I could place it if it doesn't work out. How is the MP:sensor in this camera? Would it be good for lower light at distance?

The right far side might be an issue for the PTZ at night with the speed limit sign and IR washout, unfortunately, so I may be focusing on the left near/far and right near only.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am leaning towards an IPC-T3241T-ZAS off of the corner above the trash cans unless something else comes available. Worst case I already have a spot in mind I could place it if it doesn't work out. How is the MP:sensor in this camera? Would it be good for lower light at distance?

The right far side might be an issue for the PTZ at night with the speed limit sign and IR washout, unfortunately, so I may be focusing on the left near/far and right near only.
The 3241 may be the best price/performance option to use as a spotter cam depending on the situation.
But if you need lower light performance at distance a bullet is better than a turret because it has more IR lights. The question is how far do you mean by "at distance". If you mean 65 ft, then neither a turret or bullet will work, you'll need additional illumination, either IR or spot/flood lighting.

Also, you linked to the Ipcamtalk store. Make sure you check Andy's thread on the sale going on, I think you can get that camera for something like 10% off on Amazon.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
The 3241 may be the best price/performance option to use as a spotter cam depending on the situation.
But if you need lower light performance at distance a bullet is better than a turret because it has more IR lights. The question is how far do you mean by "at distance". If you mean 65 ft, then neither a turret or bullet will work, you'll need additional illumination, either IR or spot/flood lighting.

Also, you linked to the Ipcamtalk store. Make sure you check Andy's thread on the sale going on, I think you can get that camera for something like 10% off on Amazon.
It is looking like 45' to the near sidewalk and about 90' to the far sidewalk. I already have several IR illuminators and other cameras in the front yard bathing it in IR. My LPR also points towards where I am looking to have the spotter look and is set to full rip, so it should help too. If I needed to add an IR spot next to this cam, I probably could. Is there a bullet version of the 3241? I would consider the 5442-Z4E, but it's priced a bit more than I want to spend on something for this use case.

The forum auto-populates some key words to the IPCam store, I didn't intentionally insert the link.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is looking like 45' to the near sidewalk and about 90' to the far sidewalk. I already have several IR illuminators and other cameras in the front yard bathing it in IR. My LPR also points towards where I am looking to have the spotter look and is set to full rip, so it should help too. If I needed to add an IR spot next to this cam, I probably could. Is there a bullet version of the 3241? I would consider the 5442-Z4E, but it's priced a bit more than I want to spend on something for this use case.

The forum auto-populates some key words to the IPCam store, I didn't intentionally insert the link.
Yeah, looking around, I don't see the 5241E-4, which may cover the area you are looking at, even if it was available from Andy, I'm guessing it would be around $220 because the LPR version 5241-12 costs $250.
If you are using this camera as a spotter, you don't even have to use human detection on it. I have the dumb version of the turret that you are looking at and use motion detection with them to point my PTZ to 3 different zones with decent results. So, I know that should work for you at a minimum.

Hey @wittaj,
How does human detection work with these cameras as a trigger for the PTZ? Are they really claiming that the 3241 can detect a human at 502 feet?
1684505096712.png
What's your experience with real world results?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, looking around, I don't see the 5241E-4, which may cover the area you are looking at, even if it was available from Andy, I'm guessing it would be around $220 because the LPR version 5241-12 costs $250.
If you are using this camera as a spotter, you don't even have to use human detection on it. I have the dumb version of the turret that you are looking at and use motion detection with them to point my PTZ to 3 different zones with decent results. So, I know that should work for you at a minimum.

Hey @wittaj,
How does human detection work with these cameras as a trigger for the PTZ? Are they really claiming that the 3241 can detect a human at 502 feet?
View attachment 163515
Ideally I would like to use AI since this will be crossing a street and I don't want it to call to the preset for every single car that drives by.

I did see there are IPC-HFW3241T-Z(A)S-S and IPC-HFW2231T-ZS S2 bullet versions but I was hoping with them being bullets they would offer a little more than 13.5mm on the long end.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Hey @wittaj,
View attachment 163515
DORI is a nice tool in the tool box, but these are under ideal situations.

My real world experience shows you have to cut the numbers in at least half during the day and cut that half number in half at night. Obviously other factors come into play, but 500 feet reliably with a 2MP would be tough.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
The distance to the near/far sidewalk will be similar to this view. This is at 12mm, but the corner I will be mounting is about 12" set back from this, so hopefully the 13.5mm would make up for that a bit.

Double_Bay 2023-04-28 09.02.41.426 AM.jpg

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
DORI is a nice tool in the tool box, but these are under ideal situations.

My real world experience shows you have to cut the numbers in at least half during the day and cut that half number in half at night. Obviously other factors come into play, but 500 feet reliably with a 2MP would be tough.
Well, unless that 2MP camera is my 49225...
Kidding aside, so he could expect somewhere between 36 to 125 feet (with the caveats you mentioned) to have the 3241 identify people and direct the PTZ. So, it sounds like that may be the right camera for what he's trying to do.

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Little off topic sorry, but you use the person detection on the cameras? I’d imagine you use blue Iris, so you use that instead of the AI within the program?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Little off topic sorry, but you use the person detection on the cameras? I’d imagine you use blue Iris, so you use that instead of the AI surging the program?
Many of us do. Especially if all you care about is a person or car and don't care about not having the orange rectangle burned on an image.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Little off topic sorry, but you use the person detection on the cameras? I’d imagine you use blue Iris, so you use that instead of the AI surging the program?
Yes, I use the built-in AI in the cameras. When a person is confirmed breaking a trip wire it sends a trigger to BI. BI then accepts the trigger, calls the PTZ to the specified preset, and then the PTZ waits. If the built-in AI confirms a person breaking a tripwire it will start tracking them.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Little off topic sorry, but you use the person detection on the cameras? I’d imagine you use blue Iris, so you use that instead of the AI within the program?
It's kind of both. I don't have AI (well, they detect motion, which I suppose some could argue is a type of AI) on my spotters, but if I did I'd use that to trigger my PTZ (I'll upgrade those spotters one day). Then I use Deepstack AI to trigger alert events when a person or animal is on my property.
I think you'll find a lot of people using both for different things. For instance, some people probably use spotter cameras AI to identify vehicles and trigger an LPR camera. Which would then use some software AI to read the license plate on the computer.