Setting up "rack" with POE cameras, can I use a Punch Down?

Dave88LX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At first I thought you maybe able to get a power cord with a 90 degree bend... however I think that still is too thick...
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Enclosure-Switch-Depth-SRW12U/dp/B009B1I1C8/?tag=ipctk-20

If you want to install that model NVR and use this enclosure I would mount 2x4s on the back as stand offs and that will give you another 1.5" - which would be good for the power cord.

For the ethernet cables - it still is very tight imho - so probably a separate PoE switch which is shorter in depth.
I do plan to have a separate POE switch in there, and a patch panel to home-run everything into. I just can't tell with the dimensions if there's room built into the door for cabling or not. :( It doesn't really look like it.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Dave88LX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On another thought, when I finish out the basement I plan to build a closet around all the HVAC stuff. Perhaps that would be a good place to put a full or half rack. Hidden, out of the way, not a second source/direction of noise, and I can put my lab equipment in it too.

Reaction score
Seems like alot of extra work, to me. Since you are putting the POE switch on the wall, why have a patch panel at all? With your setup, all the CAT cables are getting punched down, then patch cables are run to the POE switch. Wouldn't it be just as effective to just run them to the POE switch to begin with, and eliminate the patch panel altogether? You still will have just the one patch cable to the rack for the NVR, right?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Seems like alot of extra work, to me. Since you are putting the POE switch on the wall, why have a patch panel at all? With your setup, all the CAT cables are getting punched down, then patch cables are run to the POE switch. Wouldn't it be just as effective to just run them to the POE switch to begin with, and eliminate the patch panel altogether? You still will have just the one patch cable to the rack for the NVR, right?
Hi Weighle2

I like to use a patch panel, as I may disconnect wires to the PoE switch for testing, port failure, replacement of the switch, and other reasons and the solid wires in the cat5e/cat6 are less flexible and more likely to break. Then I use a patch cable between the patch panel and PoE switch / or NVR as the patch cables are made typically of stranded wires, and thus are more flexible and easier to replace than me re-doing a RJ45 connection.

Of course you can skip the patch panel if you like, just make certain if have extra length to account for any time you need to re-do a RJ45 connection. ( which should be infrequent if you use care )