Setting Up Two Wireless Cams at Front Door - Voltage

rcicu

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm new to IP cams, so far setting up an Amcrest IP2M-841E in the house, and running Blue Iris to monitor the feed. I have a lot to learn about scheduling and recording in BI, but that will be a separate thread.

My noob question is regarding my front door. I want one cam watching the door, and another watching the driveway. They need to be wireless. A previous resident already provided a long-run BNC cable with 2.1mm power from utility room to front door. I plan to use that power cable with a splitter for both wireless cams.

My main question is what power brick to get? Are all wireless IP cams a standard voltage, like 12V? I'll be powering both with a single power cable.

For the door monitor I'm considering a Amcrest IP2M-842. it will be mounted about 8ft up and 8ft to the side of the door. Someone has suggested a Dahua turret cam instead due to less susceptibility to spiders.

The driveway is about 30-40ft away. I'll need something with a longer focal length for that.

Suggestions?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm new to IP cams, so far setting up an Amcrest IP2M-841E in the house, and running Blue Iris to monitor the feed. I have a lot to learn about scheduling and recording in BI, but that will be a separate thread.

My noob question is regarding my front door. I want one cam watching the door, and another watching the driveway. They need to be wireless. A previous resident already provided a long-run BNC cable with 2.1mm power from utility room to front door. I plan to use that power cable with a splitter for both wireless cams.

My main question is what power brick to get? Are all wireless IP cams a standard voltage, like 12V? I'll be powering both with a single power cable.

For the door monitor I'm considering a Amcrest IP2M-842. it will be mounted about 8ft up and 8ft to the side of the door. Someone has suggested a Dahua turret cam instead due to less susceptibility to spiders.

The driveway is about 30-40ft away. I'll need something with a longer focal length for that.

Suggestions?
Hi Rcicu,

If it is a quality BNC cable and a location you like, perhaps you should look at some of the ePoE cameras and BNC adapters?
Or perhaps even a coax based starlight?

Wired will be more reliable than wifi.

rcicu

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Rcicu,

If it is a quality BNC cable and a location you like, perhaps you should look at some of the ePoE cameras and BNC adapters?
Or perhaps even a coax based starlight?

Wired will be more reliable than wifi.
The BNC cable leads to nowhere (utility room) and looks pretty old. I'm guessing the former resident had a recorder in there. Since I rent it isn't feasible to pull data wires to that room from where my router/switch is located. There is however 120v that I can connect a DC power brick to. If I owned the place I'd pull cat5e everywhere.

If wireless doesn't work from the front door I'm looking at running an ethernet cable out a back window and straight over the house across the roof. :)

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dahua HD-CVI cameras would work with the coax cables. Perhaps look into a Hybrid DVR/NVR system.

rcicu

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm using a PC with Blue Iris. I don't believe the single BNC coax will support two cams.

To answer my original question, it looks like 12V is the standard. Once I pick cameras I'll know how much current the power brick needs to supply.