Setup a IPC-T5442T-ZE and have a couple of Questions

Reaction score
I just purchased a IPC-T5442T-ZE and got it online. I haven’t purchased a PC or NVR YET, just running it standalone while I get my head around what I want to end up with as a total system.

I like the camera well enough but wanted to clarify a few things-

I bought a varifocal since I didn’t know what it would look like...for the next one, should I go with a fixed 2.8 lens if I don’t need to zoom in with the varifcal?

Is there another option that is similar with better sensor/optics that’s worth the cost difference? I’m okay with this camera overall but I’m trying to understand if I can do better for a little more money? Do I need to look for one with a larger sensor?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The 2.8mm is great for overview. The only time it will provide identification is if the subject is within about 12 feet of the camera and the camera is low enough to get a full face shot. Don't discount the varifocal or other fixed lenses with longer focal lengths. With the varifocal you can get a rough idea what the optimal fixed lens should be for any specific location. Temporarily mount the varifocal, adjust the focal length to get the view you really want then use a converter to determine the approximate focal length.

Right now the 5442 series hits the "sweet spot" in terms of sensor size, resolution and low light capability. There are newer cameras around, only a few at this point, with bigger sensors. More will be coming out over the next few months from what I've seen, but bring your checkbook. There is a Sony with a 35mm sensor that's in the $1500 range, then add in another few hundred for a lens and yet another few hundred for an enclosure and you're good to go.

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. Maybe I’ll continue my buildout with more of these. I feel that for the cost it works well.
The 2.8mm is great for overview. The only time it will provide identification is if the subject is within about 12 feet of the camera and the camera is low enough to get a full face shot. Don't discount the varifocal or other fixed lenses with longer focal lengths. With the varifocal you can get a rough idea what the optimal fixed lens should be for any specific location. Temporarily mount the varifocal, adjust the focal length to get the view you really want then use a converter to determine the approximate focal length.

Right now the 5442 series hits the "sweet spot" in terms of sensor size, resolution and low light capability. There are newer cameras around, only a few at this point, with bigger sensors. More will be coming out over the next few months from what I've seen, but bring your checkbook. There is a Sony with a 35mm sensor that's in the $1500 range, then add in another few hundred for a lens and yet another few hundred for an enclosure and you're good to go.
How does the 5442 compare to the amcrest such as the one sold in the IPCT store that’s 8mp and fixed 2.8lens other than the focal distance as far as video quality, low light, analytics?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You might get a better price. Shipping is fast, given they're in Hong Kong. Generally under a week to the East Coast.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 3 of the Amcrest, and probably 6-7 of the 5442 of all types, some of the 2mp variety.
The IP5M-1179EW is a great camera for it's price, but for overall performance including might time, the IPC-HD5442 is
hands down the best.
I have a IP8M-2496EW for a 4K over view camera and it works well during the day, but loses it all at night. I record it at
10 fps only during the day, as it takes a LOT of storage, and other cameras cover up close at night anyway.
I bought most of mine on Amazon just because it was easiest at the time, but have bought straight from Andy, and
it's just as easy and had them shipped to OK in 4 days.

Reaction score
I have 3 of the Amcrest, and probably 6-7 of the 5442 of all types, some of the 2mp variety.
The IP5M-1179EW is a great camera for it's price, but for overall performance including might time, the IPC-HD5442 is
hands down the best.
I have a IP8M-2496EW for a 4K over view camera and it works well during the day, but loses it all at night. I record it at
10 fps only during the day, as it takes a LOT of storage, and other cameras cover up close at night anyway.
I bought most of mine on Amazon just because it was easiest at the time, but have bought straight from Andy, and
it's just as easy and had them shipped to OK in 4 days.
thank you for the info. I’ll probably just buy more of the 5442’s.

Reaction score
Ok so now I am moving on to a decent NVR. I’m leaning toward digital watchdog. Is there something better for the price? It looks like the 9 channel DW with 2T is about $360.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Reaction score
I use a PC running Blue Iris software with 26 cameras. I picked up an I5-8500 and am running 25-30% CPU, so room for more.

If you are a little puter savoy, it is only $58 and works well.

I could definitely do that but to be honest I prefer to just have an appliance. For the total cost I just done see an issue since the DW stuff seems to do all I need it to do.

I don’t want to have to maintain a Pc just for this use, windows licensing, making sure it’s running properly, etc.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Just remember that an NVR is actually a PC, just a pretty dumb PC. If a network interface or power supply or any other failure happens it's trash. A PC can be pretty easily repaired. Windows, assuming you bought a used business class machine, comes already licensed with Win10. Shutting off updates is a good idea so Win10/Pro is the best way to do that.

Reaction score
Just remember that an NVR is actually a PC, just a pretty dumb PC. If a network interface or power supply or any other failure happens it's trash. A PC can be pretty easily repaired. Windows, assuming you bought a used business class machine, comes already licensed with Win10. Shutting off updates is a good idea so Win10/Pro is the best way to do that.
All good points. I’ll kick it around. I guess my root question is if one was going NVR, what’s the best option in terms of cost and good software?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Joshua Bloom - you can turn off all Windows updates and all Blue Iris updates and then it is essentially a better NVR!

And you do not need to buy a new PC. A member here just last week found a refurbished 4th generation for less than $150USD that came with Win10 PRO, 16GB RAM, and a 1TB drive. Most of us purchase refurbished PCs that come off a business lease. A lot cheaper.

And a 4th generation is plenty now with the substream option. A member here is running 50 cameras on his 4th generation at sub 40% CPU

Have you tried an NVR for playback - most of them suck. I can literally in less than a minute watch any activity from overnight on Blue Iris. It takes longer than that just to log into my NVR. And then playback is atrocious - even more so if you need to watch back for several days to find out when that car parked on the street was hit.

And common practice is to match brands of cameras with the NVR, so you may find a mix-match of cameras do not work properly with an NVR.

The ability to add more cameras and from different brands and do 3rd party add-ons if you desire I believe puts the favor into Blue Iris.

Most NVRs will cap the bitrate you use. And limit the resolution of the camera. As long as your computer can handle it, BI can accept whatever bitrate and resolution the camera is capable of.

An NVR is a watered down computer with an underpowered CPU that is running 24/7...I still am running an NVR that feeds cams to my BI computer. The NVR is pulling more power than the BI computer...

I have had whatever the NVR operating system is running on go out. TWICE. Got to buy a whole new NVR - TWICE

I have had the ethernet port go out on an NVR. Got to buy a whole new NVR.

i had the HDMI port go out on an NVR. Got to buy a whole new NVR.

Most I ever got was 2.5 years. The only working part was the HDD that I simply moved from the old NVR to the new one. I got to the point of realizing that an NVR is simply a stripped down computer, so I went to BI and never looked back. I got tired of buying a whole new unit.

So in my BI Computer, at least if the SSD goes out, I can just replace it. If the ethernet card goes out, I can just replace it. If the HDMI port goes out, I can just replace it. etc.

Personally I gave up on NVRs because I have found them to be clunky and a struggle to review clips and if a component goes out like the internet port, then you are stuck buying a new NVR whereas a computer part goes out and you replace just that component. I went to BI on a dedicated machine and haven't looked back.

Keep in mind that not all NVRs are created equal - look at bandwidth - a cheap one is usually limited to 80Mbps total bandwidth for all the cameras and limits cams to 4096 bitrate, so once you look at an NVR that can pass a higher bandwidth, the dedicated computer and Blue Iris was cheaper in my case. Pros and Cons to each and many people on here run NVRs successfully.

You will spend more on a capable NVR than you would a BI/PC combo...

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Most of the Dahua 5000 series NVRs will allow you to run just about anything you want as to bitrate and generally handle 200 Mbps or more. I’m running 16 5442 4MP cams on one now for over a year all at 8192 and 30 fps. It will handle 4K just fine.

reviewing footage is simple. You have a timeline or various easy ways to view specific clips be it and hour ago or 30 days ago. I use SmartPSS as a live viewer because it’s easy and allows me to monitor many NVRs at once.

This is a good one
320 Mbps incoming bandwidth
Up to 20 Mbps bitrate

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most of the Dahua 5000 series NVRs will allow you to run just about anything you want as to bitrate and generally handle 200 Mbps or more. I’m running 16 5442 4MP cams on one now for over a year all at 8192 and 30 fps. It will handle 4K just fine.

reviewing footage is simple. You have a timeline or various easy ways to view specific clips be it and hour ago or 30 days ago. I use SmartPSS as a live viewer because it’s easy and allows me to monitor many NVRs at once.

This is a good one
320 Mbps incoming bandwidth
Up to 20 Mbps bitrate

This seems to cheap to be true ?

Is this the same model you were referring to ?

I know theres an 8/16/32 channel .

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I don’t know anything about that vendor, but yes that’s a very good price,

That one (32 channel) does not have a built in PoE switch , so you would need to buy an external switch. Recommend you contact the forum vendor Andy at @EMPIRETECANDY via private message.

The ones with a “P” designation in the middle have built in PoE switches up to the number shown. So a 5216-16P-4KS2E for example is a 16 channel with 16 PoE ports.

Here are all of the 2 hard drive models