Setup for rental property?

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm in the north and we bought a property in Florida that we'll be renting. I'd like 2-3 cameras on the outside of the house. I just want to be able to check in remotely on the recordings. I wouldn't need a lot of space for storing.

Since I'm not there I'd like something pretty simple to set up and maintain. I'm thinking of just getting an NVR and a few POE cameras. I'd have to hide the NVR somewhere so people don't mess with it. Does that sound like a good plan? Any NVRs that would be good for this situation?

Thanks!

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm in the north and we bought a property in Florida that we'll be renting. I'd like 2-3 cameras on the outside of the house. I just want to be able to check in remotely on the recordings. I wouldn't need a lot of space for storing.

Since I'm not there I'd like something pretty simple to set up and maintain. I'm thinking of just getting an NVR and a few POE cameras. I'd have to hide the NVR somewhere so people don't mess with it. Does that sound like a good plan? Any NVRs that would be good for this situation?

Thanks!
Plug and play - both Hikvision rebrands.

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been reading about some NVRs not having enough horsepower like a PC. No problems like that for this one?

Also, does Dahua make one that is comparable? I like their stuff.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been reading about some NVRs not having enough horsepower like a PC. No problems like that for this one?
If you make sure the camera brand matches the NVR brand, I don't think you'll have any problems with horsepower on the NVR. While NVRs in general do have less compute power than a regular PC, most NVRs do things like offloading motion detection so that it runs on the cameras, not the NVR. This reduces the load (and required horsepower) on the NVR.

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does the NVR matter if the area is very dark or just the camera?

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok. The area will be very dark at night. Probably no other light (other than stars).

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That Hikvision rebrand looks good but I was hoping to give Andy some business.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That Hikvision rebrand looks good but I was hoping to give Andy some business.