Setup options for remote viewing?

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Whats the best option to adjust the cameras on a Hikvision NVR? From the following 3 methods.

1. Cameras own web interface

2. Hikvision NVR

3. Hikvision NVR web interface

Prior to leaving home for my holidays I cconfigured the camera settings including motion detection with the NVR own software. I presumed that if I needed to change any settings I could use the NVR web interface while I am away.

Also to be on the safe side I changed the http port from standard port 80 to another port for each camera so I can access the cameras web interface as a backup method away from home.

You would think the above would cover everything and give me full control of the cameras settings while away. This is not the case.

I dont understand how this works, because what I set in the NVR at home is not configurable away from home. The NVR web interface does not show the settings for Motion Detection configured for each camera.

I have one camera that is constantly sending me false email alerts, hundreds per day. I dont know why its doing this, because the other cameras configured similar are not sending me constant email alerts. They are only sending alerts on motion.

I went into the NVR web interface a couple days ago to reconfigure the camera, and there was no motion detection configured, it is unticked On the web nterface, whereby on the NVR software it is ticked.

I checked on the cameras web interface and it had a tick in the motion detection option showing the motion area selected. I went to check on the output setting for motion and the email option was not ticked. All I could do was untick the motion detection to stop the hundreds of email alerts, which has rendered this camera out of action.

I tried to reconfigure this camera on the web interface, but whats set for motion detection on the NVR software is overriding everything. I can not deactivate the email notification away from home for that particular camera.

All I can do now is deactivate the cameras motion in its own web interface, till I return home.

These Hikvsion NVR are a bit of a nightmare. Not as good as the PC option.

I also having great difficulty in viewing any footage, live or motion recordings on the phones app. My upload speed for ADSL I suspect is the culprit at home. I have dropped the resolution down on all my cameras including the bit rate and fps using the cameras web interface, this has helped to rectify the issue with watching the motion footage, but live footage is still jumpy.

I never had any of these issues with the Blue Iris app away from home. I was able to watch live footage on all my cameras smoothly

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to clarify my setup.. I own a NVR DS7608NI-E2/8P. Firmware 3.2.1

6 Hikvision cameras connected via a POE Switch, I am not using the POE ports on NVR

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I found it easier to remotely connect to my cameras web interface by using a POE switch instead of the POE ports on the NVR.

The IVMS4500 app is not working to well for me on my phone, I beleive to upload limit on my Internet is the culprit here. Phone is on 4G right now with fast connection speed, but as soon I try to access my cameras, it struggles to open them including motion recordings.

dropping the resolution down to 1024 x 768, 15 fps and bit rate of 3078 on each camera has helped a little. Should I lower the bit rate more, I dont want to compromise to much on the footage quality, but I also do want to be able to use the app away from home.

I am currently away from home, will not be back home for another month, I do not have physical access to my NVR for a month.

going by the issues I am having. What can I do to improve the performance of remote viewing and configuration of the camera with the hundreds of false email alerts mentioned on my first post?

Mel42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you connecting to the cameras sub stream with your phone? That resolution, fps and bit rate is to high for viewing with your phone over the internet, it looks as if you are connected to the main stream. The NVR should be recording from the main stream and you should connect remotely through the sub stream.

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you connecting to the cameras sub stream with your phone? That resolution, fps and bit rate is to high for viewing with your phone over the internet, it looks as if you are connected to the main stream. The NVR should be recording from the main stream and you should connect remotely through the sub stream.
With my phone, I get a choice. Clear, Fluent and Balance. When I select Fluent, most of the time I can view the live footage. This is not so much the issue, The issue is I can not view the motion footage recorded away from home. I want to be able to view the motion footage away from home, But they all appear to be recorded at the high resolutions.

Mel42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok so live is ok the problem is with recorded footage, I believe your only option is going to be to record the sub stream, in the NVR menu under "Record" "Parameters" "Video Stream"=Substream