Setup Questions & CPU Utilization

Reaction score
First my general setup:

4 Dahua IP Cams (setup to be 1080p I think)
2 Dlink wifi cams (resolution is something like 600x800, very grainy)
1 POE switch hooked up to the PC
PC with I5 processor running at 80+% utilization constantly :(

I have the two Dlink cams setup with no recording, they're for watching the kids playroom, and are very low resolution. The 4 dahua though are outside and use the BI motion detection to record on motion for 10 minutes at each trigger (I think).

I'd like to know if it would be less CPU utilization to just record EVERYTHING on the Dahuas, and set it to overwrite at a certain time/disk space (I think I allowed BI 300 gb of storage room). Is that even possible, or would it also require a lot of processor power? Network congestion hasn't been an issue as they're all on the same switch with gigabit ports.

link to my exact cameras: Dahua IPC-HDBW4421E 4 Megapixel Dome IR 2.8mm Wide angle Network IP Security Camera

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

-Jeremy

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I record 24/7 on 5 cams your CPU usage seems high

Make sure your recording direct to disk
Limit your fps to 10
Remove all unwanted software on machine

I know their is more but right now I'm at work sorry try that see if it lowers the CPU first

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First my general setup:

4 Dahua IP Cams (setup to be 1080p I think)
2 Dlink wifi cams (resolution is something like 600x800, very grainy)
1 POE switch hooked up to the PC
PC with I5 processor running at 80+% utilization constantly :(

I have the two Dlink cams setup with no recording, they're for watching the kids playroom, and are very low resolution. The 4 dahua though are outside and use the BI motion detection to record on motion for 10 minutes at each trigger (I think).

I'd like to know if it would be less CPU utilization to just record EVERYTHING on the Dahuas, and set it to overwrite at a certain time/disk space (I think I allowed BI 300 gb of storage room). Is that even possible, or would it also require a lot of processor power? Network congestion hasn't been an issue as they're all on the same switch with gigabit ports.

link to my exact cameras: Dahua IPC-HDBW4421E 4 Megapixel Dome IR 2.8mm Wide angle Network IP Security Camera

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

-Jeremy
First, what EXACT processor are you using. i5 is a completely meaningless term. Have you set the cameras to direct to disk recording? This is a MUST. Are you running the demo? Have you enabled hardware acceleration?

Reaction score
First, what EXACT processor are you using. i5 is a completely meaningless term. Have you set the cameras to direct to disk recording? This is a MUST. Are you running the demo? Have you enabled hardware acceleration?
Firstly... I'm not technical expert, I'm just muddling through this as I go.

I don't know what i5 it is. Just something I got from Asus pre-built. I don't know how to setup up "direct to disk recording", this is the point of this thread so I can find out these kind of things. I don't think I'm running a demo, I have purchased a full licenese of BI. Also, I have no idea how to turn on hardware acceleration, or if my PC supports that...?

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Firstly... I'm not technical expert, I'm just muddling through this as I go.

I don't know what i5 it is. Just something I got from Asus pre-built. I don't know how to setup up "direct to disk recording", this is the point of this thread so I can find out these kind of things. I don't think I'm running a demo, I have purchased a full licenese of BI. Also, I have no idea how to turn on hardware acceleration, or if my PC supports that...?

Thanks!
The info is in the system settings located on every windows machine. All this stuff is fully documented in the blue iris help file as well as in many threads on the forum.