Shadows on windy weather triggering motion sensor

v0lcano.

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been unable to set a decent motion detection setting in order not to get bothered by dozens (hundreds) of motion detections triggering everyday.

My driveway is mostly always covered by shadows of trees moving, as it's very often windy here. So I guess it's making things complicated.

The thing is : it triggers for the shadows, but sometimes it is not triggered by someone walking in the driveway (it sometimes only tracks the legs and not the body... ?? ). I don't know what to do to avoid this situation as I'd prefer the opposite...

Anyone having a guess about how to solve this annoying issue ?

I uploaded a pictures so you can have a idea. Red line is the area where I motion.
Inkedfacade.20190627_194928331_LI.jpg

There are also pictures of my motion settings.

screenshot4.png screenshot.png screenshot2.png screenshot3.png

Thanks in advance for your advices.

Chris.

Last edited:

v0lcano.

n3wb
Reaction score
I've tried many things and I still wonder how to solve the issue of only certain body parts getting registererd by the motion sensor ? For example in my video, at 00:10 and 00:26 it only senses my shorts, why is that ?

Attachments

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You aren't using 'object travels', so ANY motion over your object size and duration will cause an alert. And, you aren't using motion zones. I suggest you start reading the help file, and the wiki.

v0lcano.

n3wb
Reaction score
What do you mean I'm not using motion zones ? Isn't it what is shown on the image below ? If yes, this is what I have set.

upload_2019-6-27_20-55-50.png

But thanks, I guess I'll read the page you sent me.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What do you mean I'm not using motion zones ? Isn't it what is shown on the image below ? If yes, this is what I have set.
It looks like you have a motion zone (singular). If you divide that big zone into multiple zones (A, B, C, D) etc you can make rules that only trigger alerts when an object moves from a zone(s) to another zone(s).

If you haven't seen @Dasstrum's video tutorials, it might be worth going through at least the zone ones.
Blue Iris Video Tutorials

They were made on BI4, but the concepts behind them are the same in BI5 AFAIK.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I meant, you aren't using zone crossing.

Reaction score
Tough problem to resolve really. Zone crossing seems to be the common fix for most. Increasing Min. Contrast helps some. Also read that simple algorithm. My view is I rather have it record too much then miss something so I live with some false positives. I do however set small additional zone to alert/email me such as front door or break-in points that has motion near them.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This:
If you haven't seen @Dasstrum's video tutorials, it might be worth going through at least the zone ones.
Blue Iris Video Tutorials
They were made on BI4, but the concepts behind them are the same in BI5 AFAIK.
This is an easy fix with just a few zones. Also, your contrast of 31 is why the motion detection only sees your shorts as you move away from the camera and into various lighting changes. Change it to 25 and you can run the video back through your motion detection and it'll track your whole body.