Share mount with floodlight

erylflynn

n3wb
Reaction score
Do they make any adapter or such to allow having a flood light mounted and a separate camera over or under it? I have new siding and do not want to cut or drill but have a flood light setup already. Be nice if I could mount a camera off that location sharing with the light.

dabflyboy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A possible problem with that could be running the ethernet cable along side of your power wiring for the floodlight. I may be wrong, but I would think that may cause some interference in the signal.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know of any commercially available mount so you'd be stuck kluging your own.

A few other things to consider. If the floodlights are on all night that's great, but if they're motion lights the camera will be blinded for a second or more every time they turn on or shut off. Normally floodlights are mounted as high as possible to provide the most light but for a camera that isn't such a great idea. When mounted too high all you get is the top of heads when someone is close enough to actually get an identification. Think about the angles and the DORI distance for a camera.

erylflynn

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, height is no an issue, it is about head height where it is. Why this is a great place, and it backs to the garage where my network gear is. So the run would share very little space with power for interference. I guess I could suck it up and try the Eufy flood/camera but it is wifi and I will already have to suck it up for a door bell camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, height is no an issue, it is about head height where it is. Why this is a great place, and it backs to the garage where my network gear is. So the run would share very little space with power for interference. I guess I could suck it up and try the Eufy flood/camera but it is wifi and I will already have to suck it up for a door bell camera.
Sometimes you have to learn the hard way...

erylflynn

n3wb
Reaction score
Sometimes you have to learn the hard way...
Then share your wisdom on how I can do it better? No damage to new 30K siding, no other mount points to be found on that side other than the soffits on the second story, that you already stated is too high?

Is it better to have a less functional camera, than no camera? Sorry I do not want to be a jerk here, though I get some elitist vibe from this post. My goal is to make the best of situation that is not optimal. I do appreciate many of the comments. That there would be a loss of image when the flood light came on for a moment. Electrical interference, though should be minimal or non existent as it would share only an inch or more of space. That WIFI Eufy would fit the bill, but back to the darn issues with WIFI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Then share your wisdom on how I can do it better? No damage to new 30K siding, no other mount points to be found on that side other than the soffits on the second story, that you already stated is too high?

Is it better to have a less functional camera, than no camera? Sorry I do not want to be a jerk here, though I get some elitist vibe from this post. My goal is to make the best of situation that is not optimal. I do appreciate many of the comments. That there would be a loss of image when the flood light came on for a moment. Electrical interference, though should be minimal or non existent as it would share only an inch or more of space. That WIFI Eufy would fit the bill, but back to the darn issues with WIFI.
You are confused. I never mentioned anything about height.
You can do it better by running the camera wiring through your precious siding just like you did for the flood light. What is the difference? Otherwise, why did you damage your 30k siding for the flood light - how crazy is that? You have lots of punches through your siding, one more wont kill you. It will be covered by the camera.

Again - you will learn the hard way. Good.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Search Amazon for siding clips...many people have successfully used those to hang cameras. I wouldn't trust it for a PTZ, but would give it a shot for a turret.

Wifi will end up being a waste and at best tell you what time it happened.

I was all worried about siding once too, but got to the point of deciding I would always have a camera there so figured I would put up what is needed. I also don't cut a hole, but rather cut a square on 3 sides and bend back on the forth side so if I ever get rid of the camera I can simply bend the siding back and a little matching putty and nobody but me would notice.

erylflynn

n3wb
Reaction score
That is an interesting idea. I might be able to pull that off so to speak. Will still be scanning an area covered by the flood light but could cover more area that way. If you know any links to some one doing that, it would help if not I can search.