Share your BlueIris PC specs

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hard to say. Those "core m" processors are mostly designed to have decent burst speed but low sustained speed due to the passive cooling. So the score of 3000 is probably a bit deceptive.

Sunin

n3wb
Reaction score
Hard to say. Those "core m" processors are mostly designed to have decent burst speed but low sustained speed due to the passive cooling. So the score of 3000 is probably a bit deceptive.
I was thinking of trying this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B017OF6T9O/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1BVYXEL822RF0

id save to an 8tb usb drive or to my 56tb synology box. 12 1080p cameras set to motion trigger and get 15fps.

just want a more efficient box than my i7 920 that sucks some 250 watts

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think that would be powerful enough, but even if it was, it is a bad idea to use a tablet or laptop for Blue Iris. They are underpowered and overpriced for what they are capable of, and also the first thing stolen in a breakin. They often don't have sufficient cooling for a continuous load, so they have to reduce speed to keep from overheating. And they rarely have the ability to start back up automatically if they lose power and get shut off, which isn't really a problem most of the time but it can be inconvenient if you have a long power outage and aren't around to turn it back on.

Get a desktop with an i5-6500 or i7-6700 and you will save money and have a faster system that still uses less than 70 watts most likely. You can get the whole system refurbished between $300 and $600 from dell business outlet (with a good coupon code) or ebay.

TIM521

n3wb
Reaction score
I see a lot of references to I5 and I7 as a processor for a PC based NVR. Why would you not use a AMD 8 core processor for your build?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I see a lot of references to I5 and I7 as a processor for a PC based NVR. Why would you not use a AMD 8 core processor for your build?
3 reasons

1) AMD's processors are slower than Intel's. Even an 8 core AMD vs a 4 core Intel i7.
2) AMD's processors use more electricity.
3) AMD's processors do not support Intel Quick Sync Video (which is used for hardware acceleration in Blue Iris)

1) and 2) might change when AMD's Zen CPUs begin coming out next year. But no matter how efficient AMD makes their CPUs, they won't be able to compete in Blue Iris when Intel has hardware acceleration capability while AMD does not.

TIM521

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I had a 8core AMD and some Dual core Pentium chips laying around thought I might be able to use them for a build.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I had a 8core AMD and some Dual core Pentium chips laying around thought I might be able to use them for a build.
Search the forum for optiplex and elitedesk...building your own is a waste of money.

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We really need to get together and produce a real "You Tube" video on what you can do with Blue Iris. You can't share your BI computer, it needs to be dedicated to as a DVR. I live with limited internet connection and created this so I can see the livestock and weather while at my real job. http://crowderfarm.com/Web_Cams.php

Last edited by a moderator:

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone give the new Intel-Sticks a try? I wonder if you could get 5-6 3MP cams and BI running on this... 2 USB3 on the power adapter is interesting.

It would be a fun project...

PcMark is 3056.

• Intel Core m3-6Y30 processor
  • Windows 10 (64-bit)
  • Intel HD graphics
  • 4 GB total DDR3 1866 MHz dual channel memory
  • 64 GB eMMC device built-in
  • Integrated Intel 802.11ac wireless (Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8260)
  • One USB 3.0 on device and two USB 3.0 on power adapter
  • Bluetooth 4.2

View attachment 12745
This would work as as display wall using UI2. Do you mean to record video with? No...

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TIM521

n3wb
Reaction score
Search the forum for optiplex and elitedesk...building your own is a waste of money.
I just have a few cases, motherboards, processors, video cards kinda laying around I thought I could use some of it. Ill check the forum thanks.

Tsikura

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Glad I found this place and thread. This gives me confidence an i5 will be just fine for my 8 cam setup I'm going to install soon. Hope to add my setup on there next month.

shepscrook

n3wb
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Usually if you buy an optiplex or elitedesk, they are used. You might be able to find a new system that is inexpensive. However, once any manufacturers warranty is gone, you now have to find proprietary replacement parts. A custom built computer, you can choose hardware with 3-5 with some parts having a lifetime warranty. You know the quality, and have full control over it. As well as you have the ability to control your upgrade path better, allow for expand-ability, add in quieter cooling options, etc.

If you want a simple setup, then sure, an optiplex or lenovo or elitedesk would be a viable option at a lower initial price point.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Usually if you buy an optiplex or elitedesk, they are used. You might be able to find a new system that is inexpensive. However, once any manufacturers warranty is gone, you now have to find proprietary replacement parts. A custom built computer, you can choose hardware with 3-5 with some parts having a lifetime warranty. You know the quality, and have full control over it. As well as you have the ability to control your upgrade path better, allow for expand-ability, add in quieter cooling options, etc.

If you want a simple setup, then sure, an optiplex or lenovo or elitedesk would be a viable option at a lower initial price point.
They are are not used in the general sense...a few days max - they are generally customer returns..3 year next business day warranty.....if you build yourself the warranties are useless on parts as you need immediate replacement not wait to mail in and get something back a week later. I have at least 50 optiplex/elitedesks in service with no issues. If you ever need a part they are readily available from dell/hp ebay etc.....there is no point in upgarding any of these systems in the future, any decent upgrade requires the replacement of the mobo and cpu, it would be CHEAPER to buy another optiplex/elitedesk at that time. The quality of these machines are exceptional. I paid 400 dollars for an elitedesk 800 g2 i7-6700 8gb of memory windows 10/7 pro 256gb ssd. You couldnt build it for anywhere close to that...makes no sense to pay 300 more and waste time building it for the possibility of future expansion...

JoeLansing

n3wb
Reaction score
This is sad..:(
I run an i7-4770S with 1 Hikvision 3.0 MP camera, and a huge Plex server on it also. 8GB of RAM. It pegs out at about 7% CPU when streaming HD video from Plex. Someday I'll try and wire up 3 more 3.0MP Hikvision cameras I have, and try and peg my CPU to 20%. It's all GB wire connections. The camera is alerting every few minutes with no direct to disk.

Colcut

n3wb
Reaction score
I just made an account to say - I just went to read this docs and someone has blanked the data - I cant restore it as anonymous users dont have enough rights i think.

Hopefully OP sees this and can restore?

Reaction score
They are are not used in the general sense...a few days max - they are generally customer returns..3 year next business day warranty.....if you build yourself the warranties are useless on parts as you need immediate replacement not wait to mail in and get something back a week later. I have at least 50 optiplex/elitedesks in service with no issues. If you ever need a part they are readily available from dell/hp ebay etc.....there is no point in upgarding any of these systems in the future, any decent upgrade requires the replacement of the mobo and cpu, it would be CHEAPER to buy another optiplex/elitedesk at that time. The quality of these machines are exceptional. I paid 400 dollars for an elitedesk 800 g2 i7-6700 8gb of memory windows 10/7 pro 256gb ssd. You couldnt build it for anywhere close to that...makes no sense to pay 300 more and waste time building it for the possibility of future expansion...

@fenderman with Blackfriday coming up I just want to buy a system that I can install BI and move on. I assume from your post you use the elitedesk or optiplex systems. Where do you buy them from?

Reaction score
@fenderman with Blackfriday coming up I just want to buy a system that I can install BI and move on. I assume from your post you use the elitedesk or optiplex systems. Where do you buy them from?
Ignore that question, I found another post you had about searching for Optiplex in the forums and there are some details there. Thanks.

owenmpk

n3wb
Reaction score
My standard BI system is as follows:
Dell OptiPlex i7 Mini Tower from Dell Outlet Store save ~$300 off new with 3 year next business day warranty
Windows 10Pro or Home
8 GB RAM
Samsung 850 Pro 128 SSD (may be over kill)
2 Internal Drives in RAID 1 config
Synology NAS,RAID 1 or 5 drive number and size Depending on # of Cameras, hours recording and retention requirements.

Most of my setup cameras are 3.2 or 4.1 MP running at 10fps.

I have thought of using a Lenovo TS140 (Now TS150) with the Xeon processor as the base system but have not yet

micoinde

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I obviously need to modify my system. CPU averages between 80-100 %, which I assume is 'bad mojo'. The system is dedicated to only Blue Iris.

Window 10 64 bit
Intel i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz
32 RAM
8GB HD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

7 Hikvision Turrets, DS-2CD3332-I at 3MP (2048x1536) 10fps
2 Hikvision Turrets, DS-2CD3332-I at 3MP (2048x1536) 15fps
1 Huisun Mini PTZ, 2MP (1920x1080) 10fps
2 AXIS M3005 mini domes 720P (1024x768) 10fps
1 HISECU 1080P mini cube (1920x1080) 10fps

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I obviously need to modify my system. CPU averages between 80-100 %, which I assume is 'bad mojo'. The system is dedicated to only Blue Iris.

Window 10 64 bit
Intel i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz
32 RAM
8GB HD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

7 Hikvision Turrets, DS-2CD3332-I at 3MP (2048x1536) 10fps
2 Hikvision Turrets, DS-2CD3332-I at 3MP (2048x1536) 15fps
1 Huisun Mini PTZ, 2MP (1920x1080) 10fps
2 AXIS M3005 mini domes 720P (1024x768) 10fps
1 HISECU 1080P mini cube (1920x1080) 10fps
That high cpu usage may cause you to miss recordings....the i7-950 is a power hog..coupled with the gtx its even worse...buy an i5-6500 based optiplex or elitedesk for 300 or an i7-6700 for about 500 and not only will you have more headroom you will save enough on your electric bill to pay for the system in two years or less.