Sharing Converted BI Files

Reaction score
I have a file that was converted to an avi file, but when I send it to my friend, it looks like it is playing however the video is not there. Tried several players, same problem. Is there an attribute in the properties that I need to change as it was created with security software (BI)?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a file that was converted to an avi file, but when I send it to my friend, it looks like it is playing however the video is not there. Tried several players, same problem. Is there an attribute in the properties that I need to change as it was created with security software (BI)?
try mp4

Reaction score
I tried the mp4, did not change. It seems there must be some type of restriction attribute placed on the file that if you are not on the original system that created the file, you can not view the video portion. Not sure.

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey marmaduke...

I don't think there's anything in the file format that specifies restrictions. Mp4 files that BI outputs are pretty universal in terms of what can play them. I can verify (at least from my end), that when you output an MP4 from BI, it can be played with most of the popular media players, including VLC, Pot Player, and even Windows Media Player (which I hardly ever use).

Have you tried playing with VLC?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Chances are the system trying to play these doesn't have the right codecs installed. VLC media player doesn't use the operating system's codecs so it should work better.

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep...although without knowing what OS he is running, I DID think that Windows Media Player should work if it's a recent version of Windows?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably... though I've definitely seen WMP fail to play those files when I thought it should be able to.

Reaction score
Probably... though I've definitely seen WMP fail to play those files when I thought it should be able to.
We tried every media player he has in his system, which I think totaled four, no luck. I still think it has something to do with an internal coding that BI does during the convert process. Going to send him a video file I did with my phone camera, if it plays it has to be internal coding.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We tried every media player he has in his system, which I think totaled four, no luck. I still think it has something to do with an internal coding that BI does during the convert process. Going to send him a video file I did with my phone camera, if it plays it has to be internal coding.
did you try vlc?

wayner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
VLC is the go to player - another good one is MPC - Media Player Classic.

wayner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You should install both VLC and MPC on any and all PCs that you use. And VLC is available across platforms as well. First thing you should do when you set up a new PC is go to Ninite and setup VLC and a bunch of other things to install on your PC.